Harley Rake for JD 1023e?

/ Harley Rake for JD 1023e? #1  

cgrosso74

Tractor
JD 1023e
I need to smooth out our land in preparation for a lawn, I'm guessing the better part of 3 acres of the 5 we own. Looking to rent a Harley Rake but hoping to avoid renting a skid steer as well. Is the 1023e powerful enough for a Harley Rake?

/ Harley Rake for JD 1023e? #2  
I'd say you may have a shot running a 4' model. But it's going to take awhile to do 3 acres. Owning a Harley myself I'd rent the skidsteer or hire it out. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to operate a Harley for finished results.

Matt

/ Harley Rake for JD 1023e? #3  
Rent the SSL and the rake, use your tractor for cleanup.

/ Harley Rake for JD 1023e? #4  
I'd say you may have a shot running a 4' model. But it's going to take awhile to do 3 acres. Owning a Harley myself I'd rent the skidsteer or hire it out. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to operate a Harley for finished results.

Matt

3 acres 4' at a time sounds like a lot of practice. :laughing:

/ Harley Rake for JD 1023e? #6  
By the time he gets the hang of it, he'll have covered 6 acres.

I have never used a Harley Rake, but when I build my house I rented a Bobcat SSL and a RockHound to prep the yard (just over one acre, lots of small rocks, shale, and root debris), it was very easy to get the hang of, and I liked that the rocks and debris went into the bucket rather than windrow'ed off to the side like the Harley does. The worst part was driving backwards all day:laughing:

/ Harley Rake for JD 1023e? #7  
I have never used a Harley Rake, but when I build my house I rented a Bobcat SSL and a RockHound to prep the yard (just over one acre, lots of small rocks, shale, and root debris), it was very easy to get the hang of, and I liked that the rocks and debris went into the bucket rather than windrow'ed off to the side like the Harley does. The worst part was driving backwards all day:laughing:

It does sound like the Rockhound is better for small rock removal, for the reasons you mentioned, but from what I've read, they aren't too good at larger rocks, whereas the power rake will windrow the larger rocks off to the side. Although, I admit, I've never used either so I'm talking out of my a** :D

/ Harley Rake for JD 1023e? #8  
The rockhound is strictly for collecting rocks, the rake is a bit more versatile, it creates seed beds, shreds grass clods and windrows rocks. The toplink has two holes, one floats and one is fixed. The rake also fills in and levels. A rockhound is a one trick pony. I've run both.

Matt

/ Harley Rake for JD 1023e? #9  
I just used a harley rake on my 5 acres.... my 2 cents... use the rental equipment. I have a 4400 and it took everything it had to spin that rake in the high spots... and by the time I was done I felt bad I ran my tractor that hard... and it made a mess of dust and everything else. I agree with the above, use the rental and use your tractor for clean-up and/or final grade or drag work. A 4400 is 37-40 horse I think... and it took everything that motor had for 2 hours of raking. It was super hard on my equipment, and I wouldnt work it that hard again.

/ Harley Rake for JD 1023e? #10  
I just used a harley rake on my 5 acres.... my 2 cents... use the rental equipment. I have a 4400 and it took everything it had to spin that rake in the high spots... and by the time I was done I felt bad I ran my tractor that hard... and it made a mess of dust and everything else. I agree with the above, use the rental and use your tractor for clean-up and/or final grade or drag work. A 4400 is 37-40 horse I think... and it took everything that motor had for 2 hours of raking. It was super hard on my equipment, and I wouldnt work it that hard again.

What size Harley rake were you using?