Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Location
    Phoenix, NU
    Tractor
    JD 1023e

    Default Harley Rake for JD 1023e?

    I need to smooth out our land in preparation for a lawn, I'm guessing the better part of 3 acres of the 5 we own. Looking to rent a Harley Rake but hoping to avoid renting a skid steer as well. Is the 1023e powerful enough for a Harley Rake?

  2. #2
    Veteran Member GreatWhitehunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,433
    Location
    Eastern CT
    Tractor
    JD 110 TLB

    Default Re: Harley Rake for JD 1023e?

    I'd say you may have a shot running a 4' model. But it's going to take awhile to do 3 acres. Owning a Harley myself I'd rent the skidsteer or hire it out. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to operate a Harley for finished results.

    Matt
    Deere 110 TLB, Load Trail Low Pro Dump trailer, 2500HD Duramax, Kawasaki 4010 Mule

  3. #3
    Advertiser kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    11,615
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

    Default Re: Harley Rake for JD 1023e?

    Rent the SSL and the rake, use your tractor for cleanup.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com



    Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

    Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

    Visit our YouTube Channel

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Mechanos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,046
    Location
    Roosterville, MO
    Tractor
    JD 955/70A/7 TLB

    Default Re: Harley Rake for JD 1023e?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhitehunter View Post
    I'd say you may have a shot running a 4' model. But it's going to take awhile to do 3 acres. Owning a Harley myself I'd rent the skidsteer or hire it out. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to operate a Harley for finished results.

    Matt
    3 acres 4' at a time sounds like a lot of practice.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member GreatWhitehunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,433
    Location
    Eastern CT
    Tractor
    JD 110 TLB

    Default Re: Harley Rake for JD 1023e?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanos View Post
    3 acres 4' at a time sounds like a lot of practice.
    By the time he gets the hang of it, he'll have covered 6 acres.
    Deere 110 TLB, Load Trail Low Pro Dump trailer, 2500HD Duramax, Kawasaki 4010 Mule

  6. #6
    Advertiser kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    11,615
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

    Default Re: Harley Rake for JD 1023e?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhitehunter View Post
    By the time he gets the hang of it, he'll have covered 6 acres.
    I have never used a Harley Rake, but when I build my house I rented a Bobcat SSL and a RockHound to prep the yard (just over one acre, lots of small rocks, shale, and root debris), it was very easy to get the hang of, and I liked that the rocks and debris went into the bucket rather than windrow'ed off to the side like the Harley does. The worst part was driving backwards all day
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com



    Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

    Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

    Visit our YouTube Channel

  7. #7
    Elite Member Piston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,523
    Location
    Central MA, Lakes Region NH
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

    Default Re: Harley Rake for JD 1023e?

    Quote Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
    I have never used a Harley Rake, but when I build my house I rented a Bobcat SSL and a RockHound to prep the yard (just over one acre, lots of small rocks, shale, and root debris), it was very easy to get the hang of, and I liked that the rocks and debris went into the bucket rather than windrow'ed off to the side like the Harley does. The worst part was driving backwards all day
    It does sound like the Rockhound is better for small rock removal, for the reasons you mentioned, but from what I've read, they aren't too good at larger rocks, whereas the power rake will windrow the larger rocks off to the side. Although, I admit, I've never used either so I'm talking out of my a**
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

  8. #8
    Veteran Member GreatWhitehunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,433
    Location
    Eastern CT
    Tractor
    JD 110 TLB

    Default Re: Harley Rake for JD 1023e?

    The rockhound is strictly for collecting rocks, the rake is a bit more versatile, it creates seed beds, shreds grass clods and windrows rocks. The toplink has two holes, one floats and one is fixed. The rake also fills in and levels. A rockhound is a one trick pony. I've run both.

    Matt
    Deere 110 TLB, Load Trail Low Pro Dump trailer, 2500HD Duramax, Kawasaki 4010 Mule

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2
    Location
    Mitchell, SD
    Tractor
    4400 John Deere utility

    Default Re: Harley Rake for JD 1023e?

    I just used a harley rake on my 5 acres.... my 2 cents... use the rental equipment. I have a 4400 and it took everything it had to spin that rake in the high spots... and by the time I was done I felt bad I ran my tractor that hard... and it made a mess of dust and everything else. I agree with the above, use the rental and use your tractor for clean-up and/or final grade or drag work. A 4400 is 37-40 horse I think... and it took everything that motor had for 2 hours of raking. It was super hard on my equipment, and I wouldnt work it that hard again.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Mechanos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,046
    Location
    Roosterville, MO
    Tractor
    JD 955/70A/7 TLB

    Default Re: Harley Rake for JD 1023e?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyrjensen View Post
    I just used a harley rake on my 5 acres.... my 2 cents... use the rental equipment. I have a 4400 and it took everything it had to spin that rake in the high spots... and by the time I was done I felt bad I ran my tractor that hard... and it made a mess of dust and everything else. I agree with the above, use the rental and use your tractor for clean-up and/or final grade or drag work. A 4400 is 37-40 horse I think... and it took everything that motor had for 2 hours of raking. It was super hard on my equipment, and I wouldnt work it that hard again.
    What size Harley rake were you using?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FFC power rake Harley rake
    By Dggrass in forum Private Party Ads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 03:00 PM
  2. Dirt Moving What size of Harley Rake or Woods Rake to buy??
    By Eddieman555 in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2011, 10:46 PM
  3. Input Request: Nortec Piranha Power Rake (Harley Rake)
    By cast_and_blast in forum Attachments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2010, 05:24 PM
  4. Rake Need Help with Harley Rake!!!!
    By stonebase in forum Attachments
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 02:55 PM
  5. Rake Harley Rake
    By foz in forum Attachments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2001, 05:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.