4400 won't start/turnovr after stalling - HELP!!!

/ 4400 won't start/turnovr after stalling - HELP!!! #1  

jstoppok

4400 won\'t start/turnovr after stalling - HELP!!!

HELP - My rented 4400 stalled while I was tilling - Operator (me) attacked by hornets and bailed after turning throttle down and stopping. It then proceeded to stall and I didn't return for 5 minutes. The key was on and the PTO engaged. I was able to disengage the PTO but now the engine won't even turn over. HELP PLEASE The rental place is closed until Monday!!

/ 4400 won't start/turnovr after stalling - HELP!!! #2  
Re: 4400 won\'t start/turnovr after stalling - HELP!!!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It then proceeded to stall and I didn't return for 5 minutes. The key was on and the PTO engaged )</font>

My first asumption is that it stalled, because when you got off the seat you opened a safety switch, and the battery went dead because the key was left on.
Check battery and connections. The PTO you have disengaged, so that shoudn't be an issue.

/ 4400 won't start/turnovr after stalling - HELP!!!

Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking that because the lights and gages are wrking that the Battery was o.k. But now that you mentionit i think I've burnt myself by that thought before. Replacing starters because of a battery problem. I will give it a tryafter the swelling goes down. Thanks again!

/ 4400 won't start/turnovr after stalling - HELP!!! #4  

Throw a set of jumper cables on her, and see if she fires up !!

Tried the jumpers and still nothing. Lights don't even dim when you turn the key. Could it be some fuse or other inter-lock safety thing I don't know about? The PTO dash light is out but it does not spin freely. Only about a quarter turn before a positive metal on metal stop.

/ 4400 won't start/turnovr after stalling - HELP!!! #6  

Seems like maybe the PTO lever is in a disenaged position but the PTO itself may not be disengaged. I guess if it were me in this situation, I would put the tractor in neutral and try to move it, most likely by putting a chain on it to my truck and giving that tractor a little tug. It might be just enough movement, to allow the gears to release.
Now if this is a hydro tractor, the above may or may not work. I am still learning about hydro's.

Just got done checking all fuses. Still won't crank. I agree with giving it a little tug to see if anything "breaks" free. I take it from your response the PTO should spin freely when disengaged. It will have to wait until tomorrow though. Thanks again for your help.

/ 4400 won't start/turnovr after stalling - HELP!!! #8  

If it's a gear drive, put it in neutral. And no, the PTO won't spin freely when disengaged.

/ 4400 won't start/turnovr after stalling - HELP!!! #9  

I would say it is something being over looked.
Step back and recheck everything.
Neutral
PTO off
Brake on
In seat?
Check switch under seat, maybe broke when fast exit!

/ 4400 won't start/turnovr after stalling - HELP!!! #10  

Is this a manual? Is your "shuttle" (forward, neutral, reverse) lever in neutral? This one tripped me up once... even if trans is in neutral, that reverser lever has to be in neutral also.

Bob