Replacement deck for JD318?

/ Replacement deck for JD318? #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
Hi guys -

I have a beautifully-restored '86 318 with a 50" deck with Power-Flo and a Johnny Bucket Sr. I believe it's going to need a new deck in the near future. I know I could probably purchase a used 50" deck, but was wondering if you guys know if I can retrofit a later or new deck with my setup. Any clues?

Thanks,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Replacement deck for JD318? #2  
JD makes a 48" mulch compatable replacement deck for older 300 series including the 318. It costs about $930 dollars.

I recently bought a JD322 that had the 50" deck. The deck was solid but needed bearings and a paint job. I spotted one of those 48" decks in very nice shape on E-bay back in the Spring and picked it up for just over $400. This allowed me to start cutting while I worked on putting the 50" deck back in working order. I plan to selling the 50" deck.

The 48" deck needs a different belt from the PTO to the deck. The deck mounts with the 50" hangers and mule drive. I think I got lucky finding such a deck. Not sure if you would be able to transfer your Power-Flo to one of these 48" decks.

I think JD sells a replacement 50" deck shell if the rest of deck hardware is in good shape. I think the deck shell is not much less than the 48" replacement deck. You might be able to find a used 50" deck shell in good shape. There were also other decks sizes that were available on the 318 but I don't recall there sizes.

Craig

/ Replacement deck for JD318? #3  
Craig - since you have and have run both - what is your opinion of the 48" vs 50" in both cut quality and overall robustness?

I've heard a lot of grousing on the 50" deck cut quality - but I'm pretty satisfied with mine. Any issues I do see seem to me to be more due to the roughness of my yard than the deck. It also seems basically indestructible (outside of ungreasable spindles), so I wasn't in a hurry to change it out.

However, I'd be curious as to how well the 48 does mulch - especially if the grass gets a little high between cuttings since I can't get to it more than once a week. This year with all the rain I've left a lot of cuttings out there - and I've wondered if the 48" would do a better job of chopping things up - and how heavy it's built compared to the 50".

Tim

/ Replacement deck for JD318? #4  
I never had a chance to run the 50" deck when I got the 322. The bearings were froozen. While I was tearing it down I ran into the 48" deck on E-bay. A friend of mine has the 50" deck on there 318. There 318 has been in the family for many years and are happy with the cut. There 318 has over 3000 hours and never had the engine down. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Comparing the 48" to the 50". The 50" shell seems to be very solid. It appears to have a deeper shell. Not sure what in the 50" design would cause cut issues. There is a speed up pulley offered that increased the RPM of the blades. I think this was mostly for the 332 which has a slower turning diesel. My take is a lot of people have installed the pulley in an effort to increase cut quality. The 48" deck is of newer design and might due a better job and raising the grass and making the cut. It might also be better at keeping the grass from clogging. Just thought as I said I never ran the 50".

I don't have the mulching blades or kit on my 48" but it supports them. Being from PA I know what you mean by the wet conditions this summer. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Since I have not been able to mow as often as I would like I find myself making several passes to cut up the clippings a bit more. Under normal conditions it does well and I'm pleased with the 48" deck. It does have fittings to grease the bearings.

Craig