Why doesn't my MX6 suck?

/ Why doesn't my MX6 suck? #1  

econometrics

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 5075E MFWD OOS w/PR, 540E; Gator 825i
I'm wondering if anyone else out there has suction issues from time to time with their MX6? I have mowed with it three times this year now and each time, I am leaving behind rows of bermuda sticking up that the mower doesn't seem to be cutting.

Specifically, it seems that when the tractor is driving over the grass, the mower is not sucking it up from where the tires wear down the grass. Therefore, I have pastures that just don't look purdy. :(

It should be noted, however, that I am cutting my grass with the mower set up a little higher than average. I suppose I am cutting the grass about 6-8" high, and I am mowing when the grass has reached about 2-3' of height.

I sharpened up my blades at the beginning of the year and all I have been cutting with it is grass. So I'm a little perplexed as to why I am not getting that nice cut that so many other MX6 owners brag about getting?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

/ Why doesn't my MX6 suck? #2  
I mowed this with my mx6.

Are the blades stuck on the bolts? As in are the blades swinging freely.

He fast are you mowing?

Is the grass wet??

D.

Attachments

• image-3059313492.jpg
    image-3059313492.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 258
   / Why doesn't my MX6 suck?

Are the blades stuck on the bolts? As in are the blades swinging freely.

He fast are you mowing?

Is the grass wet??

D.

The blades being too tight on the bolts is something I need to check into. That could be an issue, but the last time I sharpened them, they were swinging pretty freely. Not too lose, but I could move them with a little bit of pressure.

I am definitely not mowing wet, ha! I just mowed this past weekend and probably weighed 5 pounds heavier from all the hay and dust on me! :laughing:

I've been mowing in B2 on my 5103... so if I remember correctly, that's around 4.5mph? I tried mowing B1 (closer to 3.5mph) a few times but it really didn't seem to be working that much better for the speed I was losing.

And yeah... my pasture ain't looking that symmetric when I'm done. It doesn't look horrible, but it's noticeable that there's grass that wasn't cut.

Here are a few pics of mine from Sunday. You can see that it looks pretty nice from a distance, but when you zoom in on the pics, you can see it isn't the smoothest cut.

9508083387_54e4cea55b_c.jpg

9510877280_f78d91cd2d_c.jpg

9508083549_45d12ef754_c.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    905.5 KB · Views: 138
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 154
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 9508083387_54e4cea55b_c.jpg
    9508083387_54e4cea55b_c.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 117
   / Why doesn't my MX6 suck? #5  
Is the mower level?

Blades bent?

I would try a new set of blades and make sure it is level.

I had the same kind of issue and I didn't realize it but my blades are bent up pretty good but i could not tell until I compared them to a new blade. That fixed my problem.

D.

Is the mower level?

Blades bent?

I would try a new set of blades and make sure it is level.

I had the same kind of issue and I didn't realize it but my blades are bent up pretty good but i could not tell until I compared them to a new blade. That fixed my problem.

D.

I really don't think they are bent, but they sure could be. I bought some new blades at the beginning of spring, but never put them on. I decided to just sharpen the existing blades instead. I should probably give that a try before I do another round of cutting.

The mower is definitely level, I did check that.

The only thing I could think of that would be causing this - before your good suggestions here - is that I was running the mower too high? But I wouldn't think that would but an issue. Who knows... maybe it is?

Here's a pic of where my rear-wheel setting is... 2nd highest you can set it.

00000338.png

Here's a shot of what it looks like when I'm mowing (thanks to my trail cam! :cool:)

00000336.png

As you can see, the mower is set to cut higher, but it ain't THAT high.

:confused:

/ Why doesn't my MX6 suck? #7  
Are you running the front of the mower an inch or so lower than the rear?

Are you running the front of the mower an inch or so lower than the rear?

I don't think I am. I'm pretty sure it's very close to being the same height front / rear. Should I be running it lower in front?

/ Why doesn't my MX6 suck? #9  
Yes, I don't recall the exact difference that the op manual says, but I like to run an inch or so difference. Your pasture doesn't look too bad, so I think you are close, a little drop in the front might get you where you need to be.
EDIT: I just looked in the manual, and I couldn't find anything on the front being lower. I think that having the front a little lower is just a general rule with a rotary cutter.

/ Why doesn't my MX6 suck? #10  
The instruction say that you should have the front of the cutter a little lower than the rear.