X300 drive belt replacement

/ X300 drive belt replacement #1  

287IN10thMTN

Tractor
2007 John Deere 2305
my father's x300 just smoked one of the idler pulleys and while I am at it I wanted to replace both POS plastic idlers and drive belt... whats the easiest way to replace the belt??

/ X300 drive belt replacement #2  
The manual is available online at this link and contains instructions for replacing the mower drive belt.

OMM155820-H6

/ X300 drive belt replacement #3  
I worked on my X300 over the winter and removed the drive belt. Here's what I did after studying the tractor and mower pan.
1. Remove the mower pan completely
2. Go to the rear of the machine and remove the small guard (2 small bolts) protecting the rotating cooling fan on the transaxle (you may not need to remove this but I did)
3. On the right rear of the tractor locate the end of the tension spring for the main drive belt system and using a pair of vise grips or pliers pull it toward you to remove it from the bolt it wraps around
4. go under the machine and the belt will come off easily. Just make sure you pay attention to how it winds around the pullies and idler.

/ X300 drive belt replacement #4  
How exactly do you remove and more importantly replace the belt? I can't thread it past the reinforcing strut on the left hand side.

/ X300 drive belt replacement #5  
From jdparts.com, shows two idlers, one of them is held tight with a spring. Likely need to get to that spring and unhook it.

Have you been into it far enough to see where that spring and idlers are located?

Post #3 above may give you some good clues..

But let us know just how far along you have gotten ... pics can help with answers too.

/ X300 drive belt replacement #6  
From jdparts.com, shows two idlers, one of them is held tight with a spring. Likely need to get to that spring and unhook it.

Have you been into it far enough to see where that spring and idlers are located?

Post #3 above may give you some good clues..

But let us know just how far along you have gotten ... pics can help with answers too.

We have everything possible off - now it seems that the belt is too long. Does someone have a picture or diagram of the belt routing?

/ X300 drive belt replacement #7  
Here is pic from jdparts.com (free registration) of drive belt (s/n over 40,938).
Part # M144044

Attachments

• 300X_drivebelt.jpg
    300X_drivebelt.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 12,422
   / X300 drive belt replacement #8  
Thanks beenthere - I have that diagram, but what I do need is a diagram of the transmission belt and its routing thru the tractor as we didnt take a picture before we took off the old belt. The above picture you posted is just of the parts. We have routed the belt through but appear to have missed something because there is too much slack in the belt - at least 10" so we are thinking its routed wrong. Would someone have a service manual with a picture of the transmission belt and its routing through the mower? Or does someone have a photo of their own when taking it apart? Why is this so hard to find any info on it. The owners manual does not even list the transmission belt at all - only the two mower belts, it was the dealer I bought the belts from that told me there are 3 belts. It manual doesnt even mention how to change this belt either.

/ X300 drive belt replacement #9  
Do you have that belt part # or is it different?

/ X300 drive belt replacement #10  
Here is the procedure from the service manual - attached For the earlier models but should be very similar on later ones. Get a manual - they are free from Deere.