New to tractors

/ New to tractors #1  

davezerg

Tractor
None
Hey guys I'm completely new to tractors and ranch life. I bought 10 acres that are completely natural. I will be clearing land for fences and future home and garage as well as a barn and hopefully small stables. I bought a john Deere 5045e with front loader, rotary cutter and box blade. I have never really operated a tractor and wanted some tips on what not to do. I'm worried about messing up transmission If I don't use the PTO correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will try to attach some pics from my phone if I can. Thanks. 2013090795143322.jpg2013090795143212.jpg

/ New to tractors #2  
that's a nice machine you have. Im surprised your salesman didn't go over those basics with you after all the money you spent. Im not familiar with that machine but the only advice I can give to you is to engage the pto at low rpms and then boost the throttle.

/ New to tractors #3  
Nice looking tractor. New to rural life? TBN has tons of good information at your fingertips. READ, READ, READ

/ New to tractors #5  
Agree with a previous poster, all this should have been explained at the time of delivery. I have been operating tractors for more years than I can remember, but still have everything explained on delivery and ask a lot of questions.

As to the PTO, this might help, read and reread your manual, any additional questions come back here, several people own very similar machines.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/.../177989-disengage-pto-before-idling-down.html

/ New to tractors #6  
but 3R some delivery guys dont know much if anything about the equipment they deliver.i got my buddy to show me all the tricks to my new tractor.

/ New to tractors #7  
Welcome to the forum, Dave. I'm not sure about your machine, but I always throttle down, then take the pto out of gear before I go very far with the cutter raised. It is always easier to put in gear, or take out with low RPM's. After a few hours use, you will be used to it, and it will become second nature to you. Good luck with your place and tractor.

/ New to tractors #8  
but 3R some delivery guys dont know much if anything about the equipment they deliver.i got my buddy to show me all the tricks to my new tractor.

That's a real shame, the delivery guys my dealer uses are pretty knowledgeable, I don't know what kind of training they get, but it is a 50+ year old dealership and most use tractors themselves. On our M8540 the salesman went over everything when I bought it, so I just asked specific questions of the driver, but he knew it all and even hooked it up to our cutter for me.

/ New to tractors #9  
Wow! Nice first Machine! Rule #1 Read your Owners Manual then take it easy for the first few weeks. Ask questions here . Have Fun and Welcome to TBN.

/ New to tractors #10  
That's a real shame, the delivery guys my dealer uses are pretty knowledgeable, I don't know what kind of training they get, but it is a 50+ year old dealership and most use tractors themselves. On our M8540 the salesman went over everything when I bought it, so I just asked specific questions of the driver, but he knew it all and even hooked it up to our cutter for me.

I would think the delivery person is one of the most, if not the most, important person in any dealership. For those choosing a dealer to buy a new tractor from, this is a good thing to inquire about.