Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD

Ran my 5303 this evening for about four to five hours straight pulling an 8' 3pt disc just deep enough to cover tracks to cover seed and fertilizer for food plots. Lots of up and down with the disc and braking for quick turn arounds. I too noticed the transmission housing near the floor boards got hot but it always has on every tractor I have been on. I felt close to the rear near the fuel tank and it seemed hotter, but I am not sure it would get hot enough to melt the tank. I felt all around the tank it did not seem unusually or dangerously warm.

Tractor
    JD 5075E; Super C

Default Re: Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon

Quote Originally Posted by buickanddeere View Post
    Red hot hydraulic oil ? What else are you saying that we can't believe ?
    I don't see anything about "Red hot hydraulic oil" in my post. I said the soles of my boot were red hot, as was the tractor from the floorboard back. Obviously, I didn't mean the term "red" to be taken literally. I guess I should have just said that it was much hotter than I thought it should be. I ran the 5210 for 13 years and it never got close to being that hot.

Good news is that it didn't get hot at all again the rest of my trip. It was only 84 degrees, so the weather wasn't the cause of it. I'm sorry you don't believe me; I sure have no desire to run down JD.

Here's a look at how the brakes work:

VID_20130810_085323_489_zpsbd6ef7e9.mp4 Video by sdyess308 | Photobucket

Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

Some one should use a hand held digital temp gauge and get some temperatures and post them.
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

Tractor
    Deere 5075E MFWD OOS w/PR, 540E; Gator 825i

Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Some one should use a hand held digital temp gauge and get some temperatures and post them.
    +1, I was thinking the same thing.

Tractor
    JD 5075E; Super C

Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    That's a good idea, and I've thought of doing it. This was the first time I experienced this kind of heat while running the tractor, and I've had it almost a year and it has over 110 hours on it. But it was also the first time that I ran it for a long period of time under a heavy load at pto speed, so it had never been stressed that much before.

My apologies to the board for the tone of my first post. I was tired and frustrated with my tractor. I have found a JD dealer that said he would work with me on getting it fixed when I am able to do without it for a period of time, and I'm sure hoping he can fix whatever is wrong. But before the warranty runs out, I will put it thru a good stress test to make sure it can handle a day of hard work. The 5210 would stand up to the hardest day of work I could put it thru, and I expect this tractor to do the same.

Tractor
    John Deere 5075E and 5520

Quote Originally Posted by econometrics View Post
    From my understanding, this is not something that is an admitted error in a certain batch of 5000E tractors from JD. Therefore, there's really no way to know if you will have these issues or not based on your S/N.

How many hours are on your 5065? Have you ever noticed anything like this?

There are a LOT of 5000E tractor owners out there, and a lot of them haven't reported this issue happening. At least on the net.

It's really just a "wait and see" thing right now as the OP and another 5000E owner are working this issue up the proverbial ladder with their dealers, regional reps and the JD customer service dept.

From what I can piece together there was a bad bunch of rockshaft valves put into some 50xxE or D tractors. The valves can cause fuel tank melting, 3-point not working, and bad breaks.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200, Ford NAA, IH 454D, Case 1845C

We've been having similar problems with my fathers 5045e. Ever since new it has had trouble with the setting/linkage on the 3pt valve, as someone else noted if you just raise the lever the oil will continue to flow through the valve until you bump the lever down slightly (happens at any position.) I figured it was a problem that was just in the linkage and haven't got around to tearing into it to fix it. All the people who operated this tractor know to bump the lever back down to keep the oil from circulating.

Move ahead to hay season this year: Tractor started loosing power after tedding hay for several hours, tractor seemed hot but registered normal on the gauge. When this would happen the transmission also became hard to shift. This happened on multiple occasions throughout hay season. Later I found out that the SCV levers are also sticking some and aren't really in neutral when you think they are. My theory is that when lifting the tedder wings (hydraulic fold) the levers were sometimes sticking in the 'not-quite-neutral' range, forcing and circulating oil, and building up lots of heat. The tractor would bog down because of the fluid trying to be forced though the system and trans was hard to shift because the oil was so hot and thin. When not using the rear SCV valves this doesn't happen.

I think the problem with those is the actual pivot for the levers or the linkage is sticky, or possibly the neutral detent springs aren't doing their jobs. Luckily we haven't melted the fuel tank yet, but it is an unusual and consternating problem.
    Kubota B3200
    Ford NAA Jubilee
    International 454D
    Case 1845C skid steer
    JD 265

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD

Quote Originally Posted by Verticaltrx View Post
    We've been having similar problems with my fathers 5045e. Ever since new it has had trouble with the setting/linkage on the 3pt valve, as someone else noted if you just raise the lever the oil will continue to flow through the valve until you bump the lever down slightly (happens at any position.) I figured it was a problem that was just in the linkage and haven't got around to tearing into it to fix it. All the people who operated this tractor know to bump the lever back down to keep the oil from circulating. Move ahead to hay season this year: Tractor started loosing power after tedding hay for several hours, tractor seemed hot but registered normal on the gauge. When this would happen the transmission also became hard to shift. This happened on multiple occasions throughout hay season. Later I found out that the SCV levers are also sticking some and aren't really in neutral when you think they are. My theory is that when lifting the tedder wings (hydraulic fold) the levers were sometimes sticking in the 'not-quite-neutral' range, forcing and circulating oil, and building up lots of heat. The tractor would bog down because of the fluid trying to be forced though the system and trans was hard to shift because the oil was so hot and thin. When not using the rear SCV valves this doesn't happen. I think the problem with those is the actual pivot for the levers or the linkage is sticky, or possibly the neutral detent springs aren't doing their jobs. Luckily we haven't melted the fuel tank yet, but it is an unusual and consternating problem.
    Was on my 5303 this evening unloading 2000 lbs sack of corn and had to bump 3pt lever down to make it quit a "hissing" sound. Has made that noise since I have owned it and like you stated does it at all lift levels. I believe I have the last year model they made the 5303, 2008, and have always thought it almost identical to the new 5065E. Maybe it is in more ways than I suspected. I do not run any implements off the SCV, but did notice after six or so hours of mowing a week ago that it was warm enough under the seat for steam to rise when washing it off when finished. I have never really noticed any operational changes.

Tractor
    John Deere 5075E and 5520

My 3-point would hiss, and if you would bump the lever down, the hissing would stop. My fuel tank has melted 3 times, and it will probably melt again. After the second repair is when my tractor stopped making the hissing noise.

I was brush hogging yesterday, and just in front of the fuel tank was 230 degrees. Air temperature was around 58 degrees. My brakes were very soft. I believe my loader value is sticking.
    Last edited by 5075E; 11-19-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Tractor
    Deere 5075E MFWD OOS w/PR, 540E; Gator 825i

So far so good with my 5075E with the PR transmission. I have about 23 hours on it since I took delivery in late Sept., and nothing even close to a melted fuel tank. About half of those hours have been running my MX6 shredder.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast