John Deere 1020 Died while running, now won't start

/ John Deere 1020 Died while running, now won't start #1  

ditchdoctor

Tractor
John Deere 1020
I bought my 1020 gas from my bro in law a couple of months ago & it has been running great. The last couple of times I used it, after running for 20 to 30 minutes it would start to sound like it was running out of fuel. I would throttle up & it would run fine for a while longer, then start to sound the same way again. It did that 2 or 3 times, but would start fine the next time I went to use it. Then one time when I went to crank it the next day it was hard to crank, took 10 to 15 seconds to crank. While running that time after about 10 minutes it died, sounded like it was running out of gas again. Then couldn't crank it & it's still there now. I am not the most mechanically inclined person, but I'm willing to learn & try anything. So I apologize in advance & ask you all to have patience with me!

/ John Deere 1020 Died while running, now won't start #2  
I'd start with the fuel filter. Does this model have a fuel solenoid ? I had a JD2030 gas that had one. Carb may need rebuilding. Fuel tank may need cleaning. Finally check the fuel pump.

/ John Deere 1020 Died while running, now won't start #3  
Will it hit/run with the choke pulled out?

It does sound like a lack of fuel but you want to check and make sure you have a strong spark to each plug. I normally pull the coil wire from the distributor and manually move it from plug to plug and see if each one is hitting. This test isolates the points, condenser and cap from the system so if you can here it hit you know you have fuel and spark coming from the distributor and may need to file the points a bit.

If you hear a good arc when holding the coil or plug wires near a spark plug when trying to start it than the odds are it is a fuel or lack of compression issue.

Keep us posted. I grew up watching my dad helping the neighbors who always were calling on him. I remember one who had a Model B AC that was always jumping time I think.

Dad would say if you are getting spark and fuel at the right time to a good engine it will RUN. :)

Gas engines really are that simple so ask all of the questions you have when you have them. Next time it stops the BIL may be calling on you to fix it. :)

/ John Deere 1020 Died while running, now won't start #4  
I have a 1020, have had it for 15, maybe 20 years, maybe more. Great machine. I agree with the above suggestions. Dirty fuel filter first. I replaced mine with one of the clear in line filters - I can see it any time I want to take a look.

I don't think this is your problem, but it might come in time - there is a solenoid for shutting the machine off - it stops the fuel from going into the carburetor. Mine gave me trouble and tried to fix it. No luck after several tries. I removed it and held the shut off needle open with part of a paper clip. Then I used a 35mm film container as a cap for covering the valve. It has been running that way for years.

No cranking at all is an electrical issue. You may have run the battery down completely. Get a charger on it as soon as possible. you may not have completely killed the battery.

Try jump starting it (without the charger in place). If you can, then the battery is down and the charging might fix it.

If the key does nothing, absolutely nothing, then you might have a broken wire somewhere. Use an air hose in the battery box (watch your eyes - dry dust and dry battery acid is a bad thing in the eyes). Blow out the box and start watching and wiggling wires - a broken one might come off in your fingers. Check to see if you have voltage going into the coil. If you have that you should have spark. Check spark as mentioned above.

You have a really good machine that will last for years with reasonable maintenance. In the big picture this is a very basic machine that is easy and pretty cheap to maintain. Thank your brother in law.

BTW - mine has a loader on it and it is incredibly useful. Model 48. They can be found and fitted to your JD.

/ John Deere 1020 Died while running, now won't start
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. I won't be home until Friday to start narrowing things down on it. When I say it won't crank now, I mean it will turn over & over & over, but not fire. Even with the choke pulled.

Once again, thanks for pointing me in the direction. I'll start messing around with it Friday & I'm sure I'll have more questions after that!

/ John Deere 1020 Died while running, now won't start #6  
Full choke and not trying to hit leans in the direction of a lack of spark issue when needed.