JD 855/955 advice

/ JD 855/955 advice #1  

Rlbol

Hello
I am looking for a little advice. I am looking at either an 855 or 955 tractor with FEL and mid mount mower.
I will be cutting 10 acres of Bahia grass on our horse farm, dragging a sand riding ring as well as general work with the FEL. Currently using a gx345, z425 as well as old 50 dixie chopper. The paddocks are pretty large so the MMM 60" or possible 72" will be used an well as one of the zero turns for edging around fence line.

So with that useage, what is recommended?

There is a used 855 near by pretty used. Bucket has some holes as well as not having MMM. It has 1300 hours. Runs good but not much to look at. I am not much concerned with its looks and enjoy cleaning up older machines!

There is also a 955 about 2 hours away with 600 hours. 70 FEL and 60" comm. mid mower. But it is twice the price! Both are 4x4. I know the 955 has a larger engine but that seems like the only difference? I am sure either would work great for my usage.

Suggestions and any advice are greatly appreciated!!
Thank you

/ JD 855/955 advice #2  
I would get the 955 because the extra horsepower is always helpful. The price may be double but it has the mmm and is in good condition. My opinion.

/ JD 855/955 advice #3  
While the only differences between the 755 and the 855 are the engine size and tractor wheelbase, the 955 has many important differences besides the engine. One example is the hydraulics, 2500 vs 2050 psi and 7.2 vs 5.6 gpm. Another is the larger front axle with 6 bolts vs smaller axle with 5 bolts.

/ JD 855/955 advice #4  
Mowing 10 acres is going to take some time with either model. The 955 with more HP could pull a larger 3pt mower and speed things up a bit. But an 855 can run a 60" mower the same speed as the 955 will.

For the other chores listed either will be about equal. The 955 dies have a larger hydraulic pump so will operate the loader faster but the 855 performance is fine.

You don't mention pricing but a MMM would add $600 to $1000 around here.

Appearances may not natter to you but they are an indication of how well loved the machine was in its previous life. Fluids are important. If the machine was beat badly, how likely is it that routine maintenance was overlooked?

/ JD 855/955 advice #5  
The 955 is a really nice tractor, I'd still have mine if it had been reliable. Mine was owned by a golf course and they found a fix for issues instead of fixing them properly. The hard 1800 hrs they put on it was too much for me to undo. I restored mine and it looked great, but stupid little things continued to break just about every time I used it. Nothing very serious usually, but a PITA to have to keep fixing.

My big complaint was that the 33hp is rated at 3400 RPM ( if memory servers) and running it up that high gives you a headache, especially with the aftermarket cab that was on mine. I also had a hard time trying to break ground with the FEL, but a tooth bar would probably help with that. Other than that, it was a great little tractor.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the 855 but my experience tells me you should always buy a bigger tractor than you think you'll need. I traded the JD 955 for a Kioti CK 30 and then traded that for a Kioti DK 45. It would have been a lot easier to buy the right size the first time, but I really thought the 955 was the right size.

P3115672.jpg

/ JD 855/955 advice #6  
On my 855, I think the max is 3000 rpm... I think. :D

I very much love my little 855. It is the most frequently used tool in my kit. However, I second the opinion that you ought to consider the 955 if it's in better condition. While mine looked great when I got it (fresh paint), I've spent a lot of time fixing various woes from previous hard use. It seldom lets me down mind you but some things just aren't quite right.

I would lean to the 955 for some of the other reasons mentioned. The front axle is heavier and it can lift heavier loads more easily. I've found myself limited on many occasions. While some have successfully increased the load lifting capacity on the 855, it doesn't come without risk (breaking the front axle $$$$) . The loader really isn't intended for excavating though I would like to get a tooth bar for those occasions when I'm scooping dirt from a pile that has compacted some.

/ JD 855/955 advice #7  
955.... bigger engine, stronger front axle, higher pressure and volume hyd. pump, larger tires all the way around --> better ground clearance. The 855 is a fine tractor... the 955 is better.

/ JD 855/955 advice
Thanks guys
The 955 didn't last long. Gone before I could get over there.
I am going to more then likely pick up the 855.
I will need to find a mmm deck. Does anyone run the 72" deck on a 855? Or is the 60" the way to go? Does anyone have either a list of what parts are need or a link to what is needed to install a deck? I found a mounting kit but there are not sure if everything is there?

/ JD 855/955 advice #9  
Thanks guys
I will need to find a mmm deck. Does anyone run the 72" deck on a 855? Or is the 60" the way to go? Does anyone have either a list of what parts are need or a link to what is needed to install a deck? I found a mounting kit but there are not sure if everything is there?

You never told us what they're asking for either of the tractors. Also, is there a reason you've focused on the JD X55 series? When I bought my first tractor, I would only look at JD or Kubota, I figured I was safe with the two that I knew. I'd be hard pressed to say my JD 955 was a mistake, it was a great little tractor, but I now know there are plenty more colors that are worth looking at. Not sure if this is your first "tractor" (gx345 isn't in the same league) or how you settled on the X55, but posting a budget and other possible uses may open up a whole new world of choices for you. The 855 you're looking at sounds like my 955, beaten and neglected, but a fun project. Unfortunately, there was always something to fix, even after I did a pretty good restore on it. It blew a hole in the rear housing and that was all I could take.

You're on 10 acres and have horses. I can almost guarantee you'll find uses for a tractor that will far exceed what an 855 is capable of doing. I think it sounds like a great second tractor in a situation like yours, but there are going to be times that you're going to want more hp, more weight and more lift, both FEL and 3 pt. I bought 3 tractors in 3 years moving from a JD 955 (approx 2000 lbs) to a Kioti DK45 (approx 6500 lbs). I bought the 955 for a specific project and now use the DK45 for stuff I would never have imagined. I fear you may be going down the same path I did.

/ JD 855/955 advice #10  
Thanks guys

I have a 72" on my 855. As long as I'm not mowing through 12" of wet grass, it works just fine. The size is an issue and can keep me from mowing places I otherwise could. Occasionally I've thought to buy a good 60" to put underneath, but generally haven't had the funds when one becomes available.