Loaded tires on 3x20

/ Loaded tires on 3x20 #1  

JMER817

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4120
For the 3000 series tractor owners that loaded their tires... How much stability has this added to the tractor? Do you notice a lack of power or more difficulty going up inclines due to the added weight?

/ Loaded tires on 3x20 #2  
Filling all four tires to the 70% mark with RimGuard was a big help; ~400# to each rear, ~85# to each front. But it still felt like I needed more stability. So I added a pair of 4" MotorSport machined aluminum spacers on the rears, which made a profound difference. The improvement was such that I've ordered a pair of 2.5" spacers for the front.

//greg//

/ Loaded tires on 3x20 #3  
My 3720 rears were filled with RimGuard since new/delivery so I can't compare with and without the added weight. However, with several hundred pounds in each rear tire stability has to be greatly increased. Since I have a number of steep inclines (some very steep) I also added the 2" wheel spacers on each rear side after about a year of use and these spacers do greatly reduce the "pucker factor" for me. I doubt very much if you could see any difference in power going up hills with the added weight. The tractor almost always loses traction before bogging down for power.

/ Loaded tires on 3x20 #4  
All 4 tires loaded with CC. The difference in traction was night and day!!!!!! Didn't change power that I could notice. If anything it "seems" to have more..... ie the traction you gain feels like it can do more than before. Hope that makes sense.

/ Loaded tires on 3x20 #5  
Loaded the R4 rears with water and a gallon or two of antifreeze each. It turned my 3320 into a beast. It does strain the tractor a bit more going up a nearby steep asphalt road incline, but I do not notice a power difference in normal operation.

/ Loaded tires on 3x20 #6  
I have loaded R4's on my 3320 and a heavy box blade with weights for rear ballast. No reduction in power.

My BIL has the same 3320 and a CL loader like mine without loaded tires and light wieght box. I was using his the other day to help him with some down trees. PFFFFT. His tractor sucks. Spin the tires very easily.....and when I tried to lift a light section of tree trunk...the rear end went airborne. Dumb.....and unsafe. Same tractor models....but night and day difference between his tractor and mine in operation.

I don't understand why folks refuse to load their rears.....especially if you have a loader.

/ Loaded tires on 3x20 #7  
Thought I'd revive this thread to pick knowledgeable brains

What is the center to center width with the R4 tires in the wide position before spacers

Is anyone using R1's?

/ Loaded tires on 3x20 #8  
There's very little difference in reversing the rear R4s on a 3x20. Plus, the answer you're looking for depends upon which R4 wheel/tire combination is installed. The specification section of the owner manual lists the following;
Overall Length w/ 3-Point Hitch 3.1 m (120.2 in.)
Overall Width w/ R1 Tires (Minimum) 1.3 m (52.4 in.)
Overall Width w/ R1 Tires (Maximum) 1.7 m (68.4 in.)
Overall Width w/ R3 Tires (Minimum) 1.4 m (53.9 in.)
Overall Width w/ R3 Tires (Maximum) 1.5 m (59.1 in.)
Overall Width w/ 43 x 16.00-20 R4 Tires (Minimum) 1.5 m (58.1 in.)
Overall Width w/ 43 x 16.00-20 R4 Tires (Maximum) 1.5 m (59.7 in.)
Overall Width w/ 15.00-19.5 R4 Tires (Minimum) 1.4 m (57.3 in.)
Overall Width w/ 15.00-19.5 R4 Tires (Maximum) 1.5 m (58.9 in.)
Overall Width w/ Golf Tires (Minimum) 1.5 m (59.5 in.)
Overall Width w/ Golf Tires (Maximum) 1.6 m (64.7 in.)
Inside Width w/ R1 Tires (Minimum) 1.03 m (40.6 in.)
Inside Width w/ R1 Tires (Maximum) 1.4 m (56.6 in.)
Inside Width w/ R3 Tires (Minimum) 1.02 m (40.4 in.)
Inside Width w/ R3 Tires (Maximum) 1.2 m (45.6 in.)
Inside Width w/ 43 x 16.00-20 R4 Tires (Minimum) 1.1 m (42 in.)
Inside Width w/ 43 x 16.00-20 R4 Tires (Maximum) 1.1 m (43.7 in.)
Inside Width w/ Golf Tires (Minimum) 1.02 m (40.3 in.)
Inside Width w/ Golf Tires (Maximum) 1.2 m (45.5 in.)
Inside Width w/ 15.00-19.5 R4 Tires (Minimum) 1.1 m (42 in.)
Inside Width w/ 15.00-19.5 R4 Tires (Maximum) 1.2 m (43.7 in.)

So it would seem your answer would involve selecting which tires you have from the above, and splitting the difference between max and min width figures.

//greg//

/ Loaded tires on 3x20 #9  
Thanks greg_g

I have the numbers from the owners manuals John Deere Ag - New Equipment: Technical Publications - Equipment Search
but I'm trying to get real numbers from people with these tractor.

68.4" tread width and R4 has 58.9 " These numbers must reflect 8 position wheels on the R1 and two position wheels on the R4
According to the manual this is a center to center measurement

Also the manual states that 8 position wheels are standard with R1 and I assume optional with other tire types. Does anyone have 8 position wheels and R4 tires?

I have another thread here

John Deere 8 position wheels

/ Loaded tires on 3x20 #10  
I'd be surprised if you get the response you're hoping for. The two R4 tire sizes spec'd for the 3x20 simply won't fit on the OE spec R1 rims. Neither size R4 tire has either a bead width or bead diameter compatible with the 3x20 R1 rim.

//greg//