Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member

Default Re: Where to find rebuild parts for 4110

When they are subjected to abuse... yes the cost goes up. Normal working hours will see these combinations surpass thousands of hours. Great machines and hard to buy at a reasonable price. The 955 has to be a time honored classic.

Tractor
    JD 955/70A/7 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Blue View Post
    When they are subjected to abuse... yes the cost goes up. Normal working hours will see these combinations surpass thousands of hours. Great machines and hard to buy at a reasonable price. The 955 has to be a time honored classic.
    So very true... but there are boneheads out there could break an anvil. I bought tractor with no doubt it my mind that it had seen at least a couple thousand hours. There was also no doubt in my mind that many of those hours had been logged by a bonehead. Still, I was amazed when got into the engine. I spent several days carefully measuring every critical dimension with precision tools. EVERYTHING was exactly within factory spec dimensions except for the pistons and bores and it needed a valve job. I had the block sleeved with a high nickel content cast iron sleeves so they will be more durable than the original bores. The grid heater control module was missing, so my guess is it quit working and someone resorted to starting fluid to get it going in colder temps. The pistons just won't hold up tothat kind of abuse for long.

Well Motor is apart In frame so cant get at main bearings But Rod bearings looked ok Not going to plasti gauage since im just replacing them as amater of corse New pistons ordered Number One oil ring was stuck in land Not excessive evidenxe of land pounding top rings are within specs - OK at the long end of specs - So new pistons ordered

Bores are within specs or at least below Replacement ( re bore) specs . Im going to take timing cover off evidence of someone visiting in there before and the non start could be a timing issue Best to look and eliminate that. Its all prety simple so far ( the so far is a hope ) .

Thanks all.

Tractor
    JD 955/70A/7 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by ctp13 View Post
    Well Motor is apart In frame so cant get at main bearings But Rod bearings looked ok Not going to plasti gauage since im just replacing them as amater of corse New pistons ordered Number One oil ring was stuck in land Not excessive evidenxe of land pounding top rings are within specs - OK at the long end of specs - So new pistons ordered

Bores are within specs or at least below Replacement ( re bore) specs . Im going to take timing cover off evidence of someone visiting in there before and the non start could be a timing issue Best to look and eliminate that. Its all prety simple so far ( the so far is a hope ) .

Thanks all.
    I too found these engines incredibly simple and easy to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanos View Post
    I too found these engines incredibly simple and easy to work on.
    OK the gremlin was indeed in the timing area i believe The IP and the Cam shaft were one tooth off One high one low which i would think make it a netural thing but Crank was also off one tooth which i think IS the cause of the start isues ! or at least did not help since the crank is half the size of IP or Cam making it twics as off ( I think ) . which is why the Starting fluid was not very sucessful when they tried that . we will see soon the pistons are in head going on tomorrow and hope to button it up by friday. I wish the spacer was bolted in fron inside the engine so it could come out without splitting it. but alas......

IT LIVES!!!! Bled lines Cranked right UP ! Compounded Timing isue was not helped by Valve adjustment baised on bad cam timing ! been about four years since it ran !!

Wont move no trans fluid showing on sight glass ( HST) . But thats a baby step )( I hope ) wish I could have done a complete rebuild But only had a short time to use the CO shop .

Tomorrow Fluid and hope it moves .

Thanks all.

Really glad to hear that!

Greg
    2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade