Tires John Deere 750 : need wide industrial or ag tires to replace my turf tires

/ John Deere 750 : need wide industrial or ag tires to replace my turf tires #1  

satellite

Tractor
John Deere 750 compact tractor
I have a John Deere 750 compact tractor that has turf tires on it. I live on hilly terrain so I need a wide track to keep it stable. Are there any industrial or ag tires made that will fit my wide turf tire rims? I know they offer a narrow ag tire on that tractor but it's too narrow to be safe where I live. Any ideas? My turf tires don't grab well so I need an alternative. Thanks for any advice.

/ John Deere 750 : need wide industrial or ag tires to replace my turf tires #2  
I added chains to mine and also loaded my turf s. My yanmar is similar to your 750 and I have a very steep hill on my property and a rops have all helped

/ John Deere 750 : need wide industrial or ag tires to replace my turf tires #3  
You can possibly get a R4 industrial tire to fit your R3 turf rim. But you'll never find a suitable R1 ag tire to fit.

//greg//

/ John Deere 750 : need wide industrial or ag tires to replace my turf tires
Thanks for the advice. It is very much appreciated. I may end up trading my 750 in on something a little bigger.

/ John Deere 750 : need wide industrial or ag tires to replace my turf tires #5  
You can possibly get a R4 industrial tire to fit your R3 turf rim. But you'll never find a suitable R1 ag tire to fit.

//greg//

Absolutely not true. We did precisely that with our 750. R1s on the original R3 rims. They look a little goofy, but they pull like a champ and the tractor feels very secure with no slippage going up or down slopes.

IMG_20110521_153258_zps44fe3e2e.jpg

satellite,
I can get the tire brand and size for you this weekend. These tires completely transformed the our tractor.

/ John Deere 750 : need wide industrial or ag tires to replace my turf tires #6  
Congrats. I didn't realize the 750 was that small, seems near the size of the current 1000 series. I had an old 850 with turfs, and the rear rims were about a foot and a half wide. No way in **** was I going to safely get an R1 on them, I sold the tractor instead. But is that set on yours by chance a specialty tire? I'm curious as to what size markings are on the sidewall.

//greg//

/ John Deere 750 : need wide industrial or ag tires to replace my turf tires #7  
satellite,

Here are some pics of the tires. They are Firestones in size 12.4-16

20131020_141531_zpse36b85e4.jpg

20131020_141540_zps0c531d0f.jpg

Greg,
I haven't sat on a 1000 series, but the tractor seems larger than that. I'm reasonably certain the wheels and tires are bigger. Sizewise, I'd probably put it somewhere between a 2x20 and a 3E machine. It's paid for and does all the work we need it to do; that's good enough for me. I'm not sure if the tires are a specialty tire. It would not surprise me if they were actually manufactured to go on the front of a MFWD ag tractor. (Edit to add: being only 4 ply, they're not for a big tractor. Not sure why firestone makes them in that size, but I'm glad they do.)

Last edited:
   / John Deere 750 : need wide industrial or ag tires to replace my turf tires #8  
Satellite, if your tractor is 4wd, this swap may not work for you. The ags aren't quite as tall as the turfs that they replaced.

/ John Deere 750 : need wide industrial or ag tires to replace my turf tires
Satellite, if your tractor is 4wd, this swap may not work for you. The ags aren't quite as tall as the turfs that they replaced.

Thanks, Right now my front wheels won't pull. Something broke in the transfer case so they won't engage. With a good aggressive tread I might get by without 4 wheel drive until I can fix it one of these days. Turf tires worked fairly well when it had 4 wheel drive. When that broke my 4X4 pickup had to pull the tractor out a few times. lol! That's a backward scene if I ever saw one. lol!

/ John Deere 750 : need wide industrial or ag tires to replace my turf tires #10  
If you don't plan on fixing the 4wd, then I'd say go for it. With these tires being shorter than the turfs, it will tend to bind up the 4wd. The axles are geared for a specific ratio of front-rear tire height. If you left turfs on the front, you might be alright though because they should be able to slip unless you're on pavement.

Regardless of the tires, the 750 is a narrow tractor. If it has a loader, i wouldn't want to drive up or down a steep slope with a load in the bucket. Also, I would never drive this tractor across a slope. It's just too narrow. What the ag tires do allow me to do is go comfortably up or down a slope with a bush hog on the tractor without being scared of skidding down the hill. Would I want to go up and down slopes all day long with this setup? No. But for cutting the trail down to the bottom at our farm, cutting my shooting range, and pulling a small disc for food plots, it does just fine.

What do you use the tractor for?

Last edited: