Pallet Forks

/ Pallet Forks #1  

Jtschnel

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 1026R
After reading a few threads about different attachments and how useful members have found them, I decided to get a set of pallet forks for my 1026R.

I spoke with my local local John Deere dealer who I purchased the 1026R from earlier this year. He came up with a set with 4 3/4" x 42" tines for $900, including tax. Not sure, but I believe they were from Frontier.

I'd read a number of threads talking about the Artillian Pallet Forks so I looked at those as well. Christopher Perry from Artillian was very helpful and responded quickly to my emails. Their set with 3" x 42" tines, JDQA frame, and guard was $1096, which included approximately $150 shipping.

Given the limited lifting capacity of the 1026R, I was very interested in the weight of the two sets. Rather have more of the weight being the payload versus the forks themselves. The weight of the set from the dealer was 380 lbs, Artillian was 221 lbs. Both set ups had a capacity far exceeding what the 1026R is capable of lifting.

I ended up purchasing the Artillian and received them yesterday. I am very pleased with the quality, the help I received from the company, and the quick delivery. Plus, I've can lift 164 lbs more payload versus the dealer ones. The dealer said they looked like a good set also.

The only thing I questioned was the use of FedEx to ship them. I would've expected UPS Ground to be used for this type product and to be cheaper also.

Regardless, I am happy with them.

Jim

/ Pallet Forks #2  
I have found Fed Ex cheaper than UPS for a lot of items. Artillian may have a discount rate with them. The only way you might have saved on freight cost would be if you picked them up a terminal and not paid a residential delivery charge.

I think you bought a good set of forks and will get a lot of use out of them.

/ Pallet Forks #3  
Sounds like you have a nice set. Here is our best selling pallet forks for compact JD tractors. 220 pounds.
Travis

/ Pallet Forks
Well, had the opportunity to use the pallet forks for the first time today! Another attachment justified!

image.jpg

However, when placing the pallet in the garage, I found out the hard way the ROPS doesn't fit isn't this garage unless folded down. Note the cracked trim pieces on the door header.

image.jpg

I also found that I have the 1026R bucket drop problem described in another thread.

Fun still outweighs the problems and stupid operator mistakes though!

/ Pallet Forks #5  
I ended up purchasing the Artillian and received them yesterday. I am very pleased with the quality, the help I received from the company, and the quick delivery. Plus, I've can lift 164 lbs more payload versus the dealer ones. The dealer said they looked like a good set also.

The only thing I questioned was the use of FedEx to ship them. I would've expected UPS Ground to be used for this type product and to be cheaper also.

Regardless, I am happy with them.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks very much! It's a privilege to have your business. As many others report, I hope that your forks will open up a whole new world of uses for your tractor.

As for the shipping, all options have been explored over the years. If we were shipping heavy and/or large objects such as the set of forks gratuitously linked above by EA we would have no choice but to ship by inconvenient truck freight at nearly double the cost, but for the light weight and manageable sizes of the Artillian components, we are able to ship by Fedex Ground which has proven the best, including over UPS. And their delivery is often faster too!

-----------
While on the subject of the set of forks linked by EA, there are a few other differences worth mentioning. Those forks, and most others, have a built in backrest (aka headache rack). The system depends on it being there permanently. Otherwise, it could more easily twist or rack. The Artillian frame is designed to be rock solid without the backrest and with no weight penalty. Our backrest simply provides a measure of safety or to enable handling larger objects when needed. Without going on and on, one other aspect of those EA forks is the knife edge that rests against the Deere JDQA mounts which will surely wear on the relatively soft castings. At least they are finally phasing out the rod mounted forks, though. I apologize, Jim, to be critiquing competitive products here, but at the same time, I appreciate the opportunity.
-----------

Thanks again.

/ Pallet Forks #6  
"However, when placing the pallet in the garage, I found out the hard way the ROPS doesn't fit isn't this garage unless folded down. Note the cracked trim pieces on the door header."

I recognize those marks on the door header. I have similar scuffs....

/ Pallet Forks #7  
Great purchase, glad you are happy with them! They look like a nice set!

I just ordered some Frontier AP12's from my local JD dealer. It's really tough to find pallet forks with the new global carrier, so I just ordered them from the local guys. $1049. Not bad, IMO.

I was looking at some WR Long's from EA, but went with the Frontier instead.

I'll save my money to send to WR Long for their grapple. ;)

Last edited:
   / Pallet Forks
Sounds like you have a nice set. Here is our best selling pallet forks for compact JD tractors. 220 pounds.
Travis

Ted,

Those look like a very nice set, thanks for pointing out your website. I like the lighter weight you folks offer as well. With the pretty limited lifting capability of the SCUTs, lighter weight makes a big difference. I'll check you folks out also when the time is right for the next attachment.

Jim

/ Pallet Forks #9  
"However, when placing the pallet in the garage, I found out the hard way the ROPS doesn't fit isn't this garage unless folded down. Note the cracked trim pieces on the door header."

I recognize those marks on the door header. I have similar scuffs....

For those that do not yet have appropriate scuff marks on their door headers to match the ROPS on their tractor a small can of matching color paint, a ladder and a bit of ingenuity will provide a adequate faux pattern without actually having to hit the door frame during a senior moment. :rolleyes:

/ Pallet Forks
For those that do not yet have appropriate scuff marks on their door headers to match the ROPS on their tractor a small can of matching color paint, a ladder and a bit of ingenuity will provide a adequate faux pattern without actually having to hit the door frame during a senior moment. :rolleyes:

Ok, that was funny .. it'd be even funnier if I wasn't the one who had the senior moment.