block heater freeze plug instead of JD kit?

/ block heater freeze plug instead of JD kit? #1  

v8only

Silver Member
Tractor
1988 John Deere 755
Its that time of the year and im going to be adding a block heater.

I see that the JD block heater requires a adapter kit but has anyone installed a regular frost plug block heater? i was thinking about knocking out the frost plug measuring the diameter and buying a block heater for $13.00 vs $80.00 from JD.

/ block heater freeze plug instead of JD kit? #2  
Its that time of the year and im going to be adding a block heater.

I see that the JD block heater requires a adapter kit but has anyone installed a regular frost plug block heater? i was thinking about knocking out the frost plug measuring the diameter and buying a block heater for $13.00 vs $80.00 from JD.

Some of the block heaters need that adaptor sleeve to provide clearance from cylinder walls, without it, there is not enough space for the heater element. I am sure JD probably sources it from Kats or spme other maker, so if you can find that out you can probably buy cheaper.

/ block heater freeze plug instead of JD kit?
great thanks, i was able to cross reference the JD part numbers and found the part numbers for aftermarket that come complete with the adapter/spacer kit.

/ block heater freeze plug instead of JD kit? #5  
great thanks, i was able to cross reference the JD part numbers and found the part numbers for aftermarket that come complete with the adapter/spacer kit.

Zerostart #3100003. Available at O'Reilly's
On second thought... I'm not sure if the 755 uses that one or not.

Last edited:
   / block heater freeze plug instead of JD kit? #6  

Would it be possible to share the cross referenced information and whether you had any trouble with the parts? or tips for install? Thank you!