battery light dimly flashes once every 5 seconds on John Deere 5300 tractor

/ battery light dimly flashes once every 5 seconds on John Deere 5300 tractor #1  

FredWalter

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5300, Gravely 8163G, BCS735, etc
I have a John Deere 5300 tractor.

The battery light was on, and when I measured the voltage coming off the alternator when the tractor was running, I saw 12.6 VDC. I was told that the most likely problem was that the alternator was bad.

So I replaced the alternator last night, in the dark. With the tractor running around 1500 RPM, the voltage coming off the new alternator was fluctuating around 14.56-14.58 VDC. And the battery light was *mostly* off - it was very quickly and dimly flashing once every 5 seconds. I think in bright sunlight that I wouldn't even notice this flashing.

Has anyone else run into the issue? Does anyone here have an idea what it means?

/ battery light dimly flashes once every 5 seconds on John Deere 5300 tractor #2  
Normally the light has voltage from the battery (goes thru key switch first) on one side and voltage from the alternator on the other. The two voltages cancel each other. When the alternator is not producing the battery voltage is able to lite the light.
I suspect a loose connection is this circuit somewhere. You might try removing the bulb and check the voltage to both sides of the bulb. If the voltage is fluxulating on one side, that wire may have a loose connection. If it is the battery side, try running a jumper wire dirct to the battery.