Cold weather protection for my 4120

/ Cold weather protection for my 4120 #1  

tschwerm

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2005 4120
I Am curious what others have done to deal with the elements while on your open frame tractor any ideas for a 4120 user?

/ Cold weather protection for my 4120 #2  
I Am curious what others have done to deal with the elements while on your open frame tractor any ideas for a 4120 user?

Carharts

/ Cold weather protection for my 4120 #3  
Make the wife do it.

/ Cold weather protection for my 4120 #4  
Seriously my old Walls blizzard proof coveralls and my heavy Carhart coat along with my Underarmor watch cap are about all I need.

/ Cold weather protection for my 4120 #5  
Dickies insulated coveralls and a USGI Polypropleyne underlayer kept me pretty comfortable all day Sunday in 20 degree and windy temps. I also wear a fleece hat and gloves as needed. When I plow snow I plug a 12v seat warmer into the 'cigarette lighter' port that I bought off Amazon.com for $15.

/ Cold weather protection for my 4120 #6  
I very seldom have to use a tractor in the winter but I like to ride my motorcycle occasionally and a 12 volt heated jacket liner and Marino wool underwear does it for me. I'm sure it'll work on the tractor

/ Cold weather protection for my 4120 #7  
The answer depends somewhat on the chore you are doing.

I wear a flannel shirt with a wool vest with insulated trousers. My coat is a Filson Tin Cruiser or a Tin Packer...those take care of the wind and rain/snow. The hat is (depending on the temperature and if the wind is brisk) also normally a Filson brand...a double Mackinaw (looks like something Elmer Fudd would wear, but it definitely keeps one's head and ears dry and warm)...or, if less cold, another Filson branded insulated hat.
Can't beat Filson gear for outdoor work. Not cheap, but long lasting and tough.
Gloves...heavy insulated equipment operator's glove. I have no idea of the brand...my wife brought them from Wyoming 18 years ago.
Footware....last year I used Muck Boots with thick socks under them.

If I can keep my feet, knees, hands and ears warm and dry, I'm OK with extended outdoor time.

Mackinaw Hat.jpg Mine's green wool rather then read/black checks. This is one seriously warm hat!
Filson Hat.jpg This one is when it's in the upper 20's or low 30's. It has fold down ear flaps
Tin Cruiser.jpg Tin Cruiser...all around work jacket that is very wind resistant. Not insulated, so you need to layer in colder weather.
Packer Coat.jpgThe Packer. If you want to work outside for hours...or ride your horse for hours...this is the coat. It's not insulated, but you can add a wool liner or other layering.

By the way..this tin cloth (oil cloth) clothing is very stiff when new...it does take a while to break in. Being impregnated with a wax (for water/wind proofing), it does have a certain smell to it initially.

/ Cold weather protection for my 4120 #8  
A Tee shirt and a cab with heat is the best answer. Build one. It is not rocket science, just some labor, steel and glass or Plexiglas. Keeps you out of the snow and rain. I have planned and set materials aside for years. The project is under way, hopefully for under a grand.