Battery Maintainers

/ Battery Maintainers #1  

Newell52

Tractor
John Deere 5410, John Deere GT235, John Deere GT262, Polaris Ranger
Can anyone recommend a good maintainer/charger for winter use on a tractor. When temp drops down my tractor gets weak. Looking for one I can mount by the battery and leave plugged in. If you have one that works well please tell me the brand. Trying to stay away from the cheap Walmart stuff.

/ Battery Maintainers #2  
I have a few of the very cheap Harbor Freight ones (4.99 w/coupon) and been using them for years without issue. Seems to work as well as my name brand far far more expensive one.

/ Battery Maintainers #4  
Shumacher, amongst others. I have five or six purring out in the barn as we speak... all bought at the Wally. :)

/ Battery Maintainers #6  
I own about 4 Battery Tenders, motorcycle's, gator, tractor and whatever all have one. My neighbor bought a HF one, cooked the brand new battery in his generator in a week, no money saved there...

/ Battery Maintainers #8  
I have not had any luck with the Schumaker ones from Wal-mart and have cooked a couple batteries as there does not seem to be enough regulation. However I do rely on Schumaker for my starting/fast charging units.

So for the past 5 years or so I have been using Battery Tender and CTEK with 100% reliability. I also would purchase the similar NOCO products.

/ Battery Maintainers #9  
I have 3 of the shumacher's. I like the fact that they charge and maintain. They were 20 bucks ea at TSC. I still need another one

/ Battery Maintainers #10  
This is the latest one I've added to my collection. Ctek 3300

CTEK Multi US 3300 - CTEK Battery Chargers

I like that it is compact (relative to output current), very well sealed for outdoor use, and has a cold weather mode that bumps the voltage up (same setting is used for AGM batteries at normal temperatures).

I might not leave it connected for 6 months straight at a time, but I consider it friendly enough to leave connected for long periods at a time.

You can find it on sale for around half of list price. Rgds, D.

P.S. - old thread on Ctek, etc.... :

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/270368-ip65-plug-n-forget-battery.html

Last edited: