John Deere 2305 - Battery won't charge.

/ John Deere 2305 - Battery won't charge. #1  

Foxtrot08

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305
I've read a lot - including all the threads on TBN - about the same issue. It seems like it could be several things:

1. Bad battery - I however, just got a new battery for it, installed it - it lasted a few weeks and died again - dead dead. I had the new battery tested and charged, it seems to be fine on the tested.

2. Alternator loose - I checked the belt, it seemed to be tight.

3. Bad Alternator - will be taking a tester home tonight from our shop.

4. Bad relays under the dash area possible? This is where I get confused. Is there some sort of over charge protection there?

The light on my dash of low battery is NOT lighting up, however either.

Any help?

/ John Deere 2305 - Battery won't charge. #2  
Until you check the output voltage at the battery it will be hard to diagnose. In the mean time check all connection, make sure the ground cable is not corroded at the frame.

/ John Deere 2305 - Battery won't charge. #3  
Take both battery cables off of the new batterys posts, and clean then both on the inside until they are shiny. I find a pocket knife works great for this.
Also clean up the new battery posts until they shine as well. I usaually use a stiff wire brush. Before attaching everything back together, I would try and charge up the new battery while it is out of the tractor, on a bench. Once it has been charged to the max, I would put it back in the tractor and give it another try. Once you find the problem, and have fixed it, I would coat both battery terminals with the proper grease used for electrical connections. I think it,s no-oxide grease, but I cann,t remember if that,s the name of it, or not. Please let us know when you find the problem, and how you fixed it.

/ John Deere 2305 - Battery won't charge.
Double post...

The alternator - at the battery, while running, is at 12.4V - including while running at 100% RPM.

/ John Deere 2305 - Battery won't charge. #7  
Well it is not charging. Should have around 14 volts.

/ John Deere 2305 - Battery won't charge. #8  
   / John Deere 2305 - Battery won't charge. #9  
You stated the battery light on the dash is NOT lighting up. Does it light when you turn the key ON? Then go out when the tractor is running? Or NOT light at all?

If it never lights, that may be your problem. Some systems use 12volts from the battery through the key switch to the light then to the alternator. This 12 volts will light the battery light and send a reference voltage to the alternator when the key is turned ON. When the alternator is charging the alternator voltage cancels the battery voltage and the light goes out. But if the bulb is burnt out the alternator never gets the reference voltage so it does not charge the battery. So a burnt out bulb may be your problem.

/ John Deere 2305 - Battery won't charge. #10  
You stated the battery light on the dash is NOT lighting up. Does it light when you turn the key ON? Then go out when the tractor is running? Or NOT light at all?

If it never lights, that may be your problem. Some systems use 12volts from the battery through the key switch to the light then to the alternator. This 12 volts will light the battery light and send a reference voltage to the alternator when the key is turned ON. When the alternator is charging the alternator voltage cancels the battery voltage and the light goes out. But if the bulb is burnt out the alternator never gets the reference voltage so it does not charge the battery. So a burnt out bulb may be your problem.
+1. And you said a new battery went dead in a few weeks which means your alternator is not charging your battery, and it is running off it's own charge until it drains down to nothing and then won't do anything.
If you get it fixed it should charge at at least 14.25- 14.5 volts, even without max RPMs. Try turning on a load after reading the voltage at the battery- put headlights on and see what it reads at the battery posts with the lights on. It should, when working properly give more voltage back to the battery to compensate for the additional load.