2210 - Loose nut under the oil filter

/ 2210 - Loose nut under the oil filter #1  

mhalla

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210
<font color="green">Started my 50 hour service today on my 2210. Wondering if anyone else encountered the following?

When I spun off the oil filter I noticed a large nut was loose under the filter on the same threaded piece the filter screws onto. I finger tightened the nut and put on the new filter but now I am questioning whether I should have used a socket and tightened the nut more. From the parts drawing on the John Deere website the nut is listed as key 13 and it screws onto the the oil pressure regulating valve, key 12.

Any advice? Leave it as is? Tighten with a socket the next time I replace the filter? Take the filter off and tighten the nut before the next oil change?

Thanks,

Mike

</font>

/ 2210 - Loose nut under the oil filter #2  
I think as long as filter stays tight you wouldn't have a problem.
Might make sure it is tight next time.

/ 2210 - Loose nut under the oil filter #3  
I agree with Hambone. I would have snugged it up with a socket while the filter was off, but at this point, I'd just wait until the next filter change and do it then.

/ 2210 - Loose nut under the oil filter
<font color="green">The reason I didn't get out a socket and snug up the nut in the first place was because I was not sure about the nut's function. The thought crossed my mind that the nut may have been there under the filter as a stop to prevent overtightening the filter and compressing the o-ring too much. Just wasn't used to seeing a nut under a filter, never saw this on any of the cars I've owned and changed oil.

I guess I will snug it up the next time I replace the filter. Heading out to change the hydraulic fluid now.

Mike </font>

/ 2210 - Loose nut under the oil filter #5  
I didn't notice that nut during the 50 hr service..but thanks for the heads up.

One thing that I noticed on my 2210 was a spin-on filter on the front of the transaxle. It caught my attention due to a large dent in it. The owner's manual makes no mention of this filter anywhere. It only mentions the suction filter screen and how to service it. I checked with the dealer and they had the spin-on filter in stock and their service manuals say to replace it during transaxle oil changes....which I did. Duh.....I think the owner's manual needs alot of work.

/ 2210 - Loose nut under the oil filter
Re: 2210 - transmission filter

<font color="green">I didn't notice the lack of a reference to the spin-on filter in the operator's manual until I changed the hydraulic fluid today. It surprised me that there was no mention in the instructions about changing the filter. I saw the filter and assumed it needed to be changed. There is a transmission oil filter listed on page 30 of the manual. That was where I went to get the part number to show my dealer.

I ended up putting in Standard John Deere HY-GARD Transmission/Hydraulic Oil. I hope it doesn't get too cold this winter after a snowfall when I need to plow the driveway. The temperature range on the Low Viscosity HY-GARD looked too ow for those days I mow in summer that are in the nineties.

Too much work to change the HY-GARD oil twice a year. It was interesting to see the buildup of extremely small metal particles on the magnets in the suction screen. The particles were so fine it was more like a greasy powder but definitely iron particles.

Mike </font>

/ 2210 - Loose nut under the oil filter #7  
Re: 2210 - transmission filter

Since we're talking 2210 hydraulics....was using my 2210 today bush-hogging and using the FEL to remove the occasional 2-3" diameter bush that looked a little too big to mow over. Noticed that every time I cycled the loader I could smell hydraulic fluid. Got to thinking back and realized I have noticed this a few times prior, as well. There are no signs of a leak, my guess is that as I lower the FEL the oil level rises to the point where a little vapor comes out the vent
Question - has anyone else noticed this with their 2210 or other JD CUT?