Typical block heater wattage/amps?

/ Typical block heater wattage/amps? #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
Anybody know what the typical (if there is such a thing) block heater draws?

/ Typical block heater wattage/amps? #2  
Anybody know what the typical (if there is such a thing) block heater draws?

heck thats all over the place. Ive seen them from 250 watts to 750 watt units.

/ Typical block heater wattage/amps? #3  
The range that I am familiar with would be 400-1250 watts. Single element frostplug heaters generally run 600-800 watts.

/ Typical block heater wattage/amps? #5  
650 watts is pretty common for a block heater.

/ Typical block heater wattage/amps? #6  
Pretty sure mine is 500W. Bigger the coolant capacity, the higher the wattage. Think the 4x20 series jumps to a 750W heater. I just wish mine was thermostat controlled like my livestock water heaters (on @35Foff@45F). Because having a 500W block heater plugged in 24/7 adds an extra 12kw/day to the electric bill. Over the period of a month, it bumps your electric bill by 360kw. So I bought a 24 hour timer switch, and set it to turn on my heater for 60 minutes every 8 hours. If you have a cab, keep the heater control full on. Conduction then helps circulate warm water a little bit every 8 hours. that way - after starting the engine - it doesn't take as long to get usable heat to the cab.

//greg//

/ Typical block heater wattage/amps? #7  
Pretty sure mine is 500W. Bigger the coolant capacity, the higher the wattage. Think the 4x20 series jumps to a 750W heater. I just wish mine was thermostat controlled like my livestock water heaters (on @35Foff@45F). Because having a 500W block heater plugged in 24/7 adds an extra 12kw/day to the electric bill. Over the period of a month, it bumps your electric bill by 360kw. So I bought a 24 hour timer switch, and set it to turn on my heater for 60 minutes every 8 hours. If you have a cab, keep the heater control full on. Conduction then helps circulate warm water a little bit every 8 hours. that way - after starting the engine - it doesn't take as long to get usable heat to the cab.

//greg//
I guess it all depends on your electric rates. In the winter months I always well into third tier pricing which is $0.05/KWh. Using your example that would cost less than $18/month. I have mine on a 12 hour timer cycle, so cut that in half... less than $9/month or about $0.60/day. Now I further cut down on that by watching the forecast and only plugging when I will likely need the tractor and temp warrants the use of the block heater. Peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

/ Typical block heater wattage/amps? #8  
I have my block heater on a timer and a TSC temperature controlled plug. The heater comes on 4 to 8 a.m. AND if it is 35F or colder. That way it is ready to plow 1st thing in the morning. Any other time i just turn on the heater an hour before I need the tractor.

/ Typical block heater wattage/amps? #9  
Hey OP

I put a heater in my 5055D back in the fall. The 5055D and your 5075E have (according to tractor data) the same 2.9l engine. The heater was from the local JD dealer and was rated at 1000w, which at my mains voltage of 115v, would be 8.9A. I have mine on a $10 timer rated for 15A with no problems. Hope that helps...

/ Typical block heater wattage/amps?
Thanks for the info. I was trying to get an idea of the minimum amount of time one can plug it in for. That depends on a lot of factors, 1000W input being one of them.