4430 steering question

/ 4430 steering question #1  

kevlar

Tractor
John deere
Hi I'm new here and need some help. I have 4430 that was leaking oil from the steering column. Took it apart and it has a fairly large steering control valve on the end of the column. Took it to a John deere dealer and they said it would take about 8 hours to rebuild it and that it was fairly difficult to get all the adjustments set. So I tried a wrecker to see if I could get a used one. (because 8 hours at $120/hr, ouch!!) I got one but it is just a small valve about 8 inches by 5 inches by 3 inches thick. I put it in but have absolutely no steering at all now!!! I'm wondering if the new valve will work on this type of tractor or am I missing anything? I've looked around and noticed some discussions mention a metering valve under the hood, pretty sure there isn't one this tractor. Please help!!!! I need it to push snow and it keeps snowing every day!!!!!

/ 4430 steering question #2  
It's been since late 80's since I was a JD dealer service manager but 8 hrs to reseal & adjust a steering valve laying on the bench sounds way to much time spent drinking coffee and eating cookies by mechanic. Steering valve in parts photo(metering pump style) will not work on a 4430 before serial number 027635. I just talked on the phone to a JD technician in Somerset,Ohio named Tim that stated that the seal kit was $100 plus $200 labor plus shipping he could disassemble,re-seal,adjust valves and test for correct operation & leaks. If you would like his contact information contact me by way of private messaging. He built a test stand with a hyd pump to test JD closed center hyd components that I wish I had access to back when I was a JD dealer service manager. HE"S GOOD on JD's.

Attachments

• R22204_________UN01JAN94.gif
    R22204_________UN01JAN94.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,895
Last edited:
   / 4430 steering question
Thanks Tx Jim. I thought that was too much time also. The picture you have is the one I put in. The old one was much bigger. Guess I will have to put the old one back in for the time being. Just went from a slow messy leak to no steering at all so slow leak is better! Do you know if I can make that type of valve work with modifications to the tractor?

/ 4430 steering question #4  
To make the newer style valve work on your tractor you would have to also change these steering components plus some lines. You'd be better off to have your old valve resealed and adjusted by a qualified technician.

Attachments

• RXP8445________UN01JAN94.gif
    RXP8445________UN01JAN94.gif
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,924
  • L59653_________UN01JAN94.gif
    L59653_________UN01JAN94.gif
    31.6 KB · Views: 2,169
   / 4430 steering question
That's kind of what I was thinking. Thanks so much for all your help. Wish I had talked to you sooner!

/ 4430 steering question #6  
The technician I talked to in Ohio told me he had a man from Tx(not me) ship him for reseal a steering valve in a 5 gal. oil bucket with a hole cut in the top for the shaft. He stated he resealed,adjusted,tested valve and shipped it back to Tx and freight was $45. Here's a couple of photo's of Tim's hyd testing bench he posted on another forum. After he tests it he knows there's no hyd leaks and it works before installation. It would have saved me a lot of gray hairs back when I was a JD service man. if I had access to a test bench such as the one in the photo's

Attachments

• a131438.jpg
    a131438.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,894
  • a131436.jpg
    a131436.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,515
   / 4430 steering question #7  
It's been since late 80's since I was a JD dealer service manager but 8 hrs to reseal & adjust a steering valve laying on the bench sounds way to much time spent drinking coffee and eating cookies by mechanic. Steering valve in parts photo(metering pump style) will not work on a 4430 before serial number 027635. I just talked on the phone to a JD technician in Somerset,Ohio named Tim that stated that the seal kit was $100 plus $200 labor plus shipping he could disassemble,re-seal,adjust valves and test for correct operation & leaks. If you would like his contact information contact me by way of private messaging. He built a test stand with a hyd pump to test JD closed center hyd components that I wish I had access to back when I was a JD dealer service manager. HE"S GOOD on JD's.

Tx Jim I have somewhat of a similar issue, I have an early model John Deere 4430 cab tractor 2wd (has the narrow seat well) and the steering it is now wandering going down the road. I "think" the tie roads are ok. I have noticed a little hydraulic fluid leak under the dash that runs down near clutch and brake pedals AND I notice a hydraulic leak up toward the front of the tractor as well, sometimes it's pretty bad, sometimes not hardly any? Any ideas? I'm afraid it may need to steering motor and steering valves rebuilt? If so any help on the process of doing that and then getting it to someone reasonable to fix it, we are pretty good mechanics, but looks like the steering valve at least needs a professional to reseal and calibrate it, like Tim possibly as you referred to above? What about the steering motor, can we fix it or does that need a professional to rebuild and calibrate it as well? Local dealer isn't very helpful unfortunately...allen@tennesseeland.com

/ 4430 steering question #8  
The steering motor can be resealed in the tractor. One just needs to have tractor supported sufficiently so as no one gets hurt or killed because a side rail must be removed to access a side plug. The reason I'd recommend Tim to reseal & calibrate the steering valve is the fact that as far as I know he's the only person that can bench test the valve & as you'll find out the valve is no fun job to R&R.

Attachments

• R28115_________UN01JAN94.gif
    R28115_________UN01JAN94.gif
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,416
   / 4430 steering question #9  
Thank you. Is there a link somewhere or something for an instruction sheet as to how to remove the valve and a sheet for how to get to and reseal the motor?

/ 4430 steering question #10  
Thank you. Is there a link somewhere or something for an instruction sheet as to how to remove the valve and a sheet for how to get to and reseal the motor?

The instructions for resealing steering motor are in a JD 4430 technical manual