4100 Front PTO Shaft

/ 4100 Front PTO Shaft #1  

aondre

Tractor
JD 4100, (2) JD 4400s, Gehl 5635DXT Skid Steer, Gehl 7800 Skid Steer, JD 110TLB
I have the 47" front snowblower mounted on my 4100. About 12" from where the shaft connects to the tractor, the shaft appears to be slightly rubbing on what looks like a cooling line. When the PTO is off, there is about a 1/16" clearance between the shaft and line, however it must be rubbing while it is turning because the metal cooling line is wearing thin.
The blower and the shaft were purchased used from a JD dealer, and I noticed the shaft was a little rusted in almost the same spot it is rubbing on my machine, like it probably happened to the previous owner.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this poor JD design or is the u-joint in my PTO shaft getting too worn? I also don't see any obvious adjustments I can do on the quiktatch to lower the shaft, are there any?

/ 4100 Front PTO Shaft #2  
Is this the mid PTO shaft you are talking about? If the shaft to your implement is rubbing, you should move the line out of the way. Nothing should be rubbing, maybe your dealer can help you with this. But I would think that a little bending or pushing will solve your problem.

/ 4100 Front PTO Shaft
It is the mid PTO shaft. I did try to bend the tubing a little, however it is very thick and ridged.

/ 4100 Front PTO Shaft #4  
I wonder if that isn't actually the hydraulic line from the pump to the 3PH? If so, I wouldn't touch it. I bet the U-joints for you PTO shaft are worn... I would definately speak to the dealer. Even if there is no warranty, you'll need to take care of this.

<font color=green>mark</font color=green>
markcg_sig.gif

/ 4100 Front PTO Shaft #5  
I agree, that's a dealer item for sure, there should be nothing that rubs a shaft if properly installed UNLESS it is an aftermarket piece, then the dealer might not be so happy to see you.

/ 4100 Front PTO Shaft
It is the hydraulic line and it is a JD design problem, however they are issuing a new replacement part for those who ask. They will also replace the oil filter at the same time, I guess there are problems with that and the mid PTO also.

Thanks,
Art