Security & Theft JD or other THEFT = N O T!!!!

/ JD or other THEFT = N O T!!!! #1  

gvw

Silver Member
Tractor
JD4700
OK u guys need your thoughts and ideas on this one. I am in need of an anti - theft system for the NU GREEN. I need a shut out system or what ever you want to call it to prevent someone from being able to start and move (commonly know as STEALING or THEFT) the machine.
The whole thing started when I asked my insurance agent as to coverage on the new machine. Needless to say the dollar value of today's new tractors is nothing to ignore as the value is higher than most of todays new cars!! My agent first advised that I would have to insure on my auto policy as my JD4700 didn't qualify as a garden or lawn tractor under my home owners policy due to the size and horsepower. They have now reversed that opinion (I'm currently waiting to see if they will confirm in writing) and say they will include as personal property but only while it is on my home property. They are telling me that if I leave it parked elsewhere for what ever reason -- such as at the neighbors or ?? -- that I am not covered === boo!-hiss! In addion if I want to insure at full value I have to pay for a rider at an annual rate of about 1 percent of value - otherwise they will only pay replacement which I guess is ok - damn I hate insurance CO's.
This whole thing has got me to thinking about a secret "kill system" that has a well hidden secret switch to imobilize the unit so I can find it as I left it.
Not sure as to the liability issue if is parked elsewhere - stolen - and used for bad things resulting in property damage to someone else???
H E L P !!!!

/ JD or other THEFT = N O T!!!! #2  
GVW, there was a pretty nifty device mentioned on Ford-Diesel.com the other day. It consists of a special starter relay and a transmitter "key". The starter relay won't close unless it recieves the signal from the key which plugs into the lighter socket (I presume just to get 12v power to the key). To the uninitiated thief it looks perfectly normal, no switches hiding under obvious panels or such. Might be worth looking into.

18-31093-790sig1.gif

/ JD or other THEFT = N O T!!!! #3  
gvw, I can't remember where to find it, but awhile back, Mark Chalkley described some the things he did to his Kubota that sounds just like what you want to do.

Bird

/ JD or other THEFT = N O T!!!! #5  
gvw,

This will work for the lazy and dumb thieves, and from my experience thats most of em.

Pick out a couple of the important fuses like the MAIN (50) amp and the fuel cutoff solenoid (5A). Get a couple of extra ones and place them across the batt. watch your fingers/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif When you want to secure the tractor replace the good ones with the bad ones. The reason for buying the couple was so you can lose the good ones one time.

/ JD or other THEFT = N O T!!!!
Allen - that may be the winner - big TKS! I checked out the referenced web site for the Vandal Alert which would also be a winner but looks like it is limited to trucks/cars - will call them next week.

/ JD or other THEFT = N O T!!!! #7  
gvw,

Being able to shut the system down is a good idea. The problem is that most real thieves are somewhat persistent and most use a roll back truck or flatbed and a winch, load first worry about starting later! [shock] When you do park the pride and joy somewhere other than home make sure you park it in a place that would be hard to access with either one of these, i.e; close to trees or building with wheels cut hard toward the structure. There has been more construction equipment stolen by simply leaving it readily accessible! Heck maybe we should develope "The Club for tractors"! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

18-30055-Cliffsig.jpg

/ JD or other THEFT = N O T!!!! #8  
How about a wheel boot for tractors,they use them on cars in the city for people with oustanding parking tickets.Covers the wheel like a clamshell.No way to drive off with this attached!Tom

/ JD or other THEFT = N O T!!!! #9  
Doing anything to disable the electrical system on most diesel tractors is almost useless. It is far easier to hot wire it. Just turn the fuel on and short the starter engage terminal to the starter battery line. Takes 5 seconds and 4 inches of wire. If your tractor has an electric fuel cutoff, or if you add one, you are better off.

For real security, you need to lock it up. I suggest McMaster-Carr 3/8" square link security chain ($8/ft) combined with the largest shrouded shackle pro series masterlock ($35). Run the chain through the wheel, arround the fender, ROPS, and if you're paranoid, the other wheel. I posted more details five months ago on the Kubota owning group.

You might want to think of fire protection and attach a 2.5 lb ABC dry chemical extingusher to the tractor.

Pat

/ JD or other THEFT = N O T!!!! #10  
Pat

The fire extinguisher is a great idea. Something I never would have thought of. It would really help if I caught the field on fire. Would keep a small fire from turning into a big fire. Also, may save my tractor if something happened. I would think a real small one would be all I'd need and it be easy to find room for. Thanks for the idea, I'm going to check it out.

Jerry