2720 problems

/ 2720 problems #1  

2720owner

Tractor
x485aws,2720
I will be a 2720 owner soon. just gettting ready for problems . is there any problems i should watch out for that my dearler wont catch.:D

/ 2720 problems #4  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the John Deere Owning & Operating forum. :)

/ 2720 problems #5  
I will be a 2720 owner soon. just gettting ready for problems . is there any problems i should watch out for that my dearler wont catch.:D

Yes, there is one big one! You won't want to get off the darn thing.:D

Welcome to the forum.:)

/ 2720 problems #6  
About the only "problem" I can think of is the sagging fuel tank issue. This problem plagues several of the 2-series. With a full tank of fuel the Z-braces on the sides of the tank allow the fuel tank to shift forward slightly. That in itself is not a problem but if you are not careful the fuel tank cap can come in contact with the forward edge of the round cutout in the hood and put a slight dent in the hood.

The short term fix is to remove the fuel tank cap before closing the hood.

For a long term fix JD now has a kit that the dealer can install. In consists of a couple spacers that go on the Z-brackets. I had the kit put on my 2720 last July and no tank problems since.

I also read on another forum that JD has a technical bulletin (PIP) to replace the three fuel delivery valves on the engine. You can have the dealer verify by checking the serial number. It's a very recent bulletin. Still not sure what issue it is trying to address. I have not had my 2720 checked out yet.

/ 2720 problems #7  
I traded in a 2305 on a 2720 in November 2012. The only problem I encountered was a transmission leak that was fixed under warranty. That was spring of 2013. No problems since. The 2720 is a great tractor.

I am thinking I should have considered not getting the 62d mmm and instead just bought a smaller JD riding mower for mowing the grass around the house (about 2 acres) though. The mmm is not as adjustable (vertically) as the 54d on the 2305 and the 2720 is heavier so one needs to be careful not to tear up the lawn near the house. Not to mention I could have saved quite a bit of money. I do have a 5' rotary cutter for the hay fields (5 acres) around the house and other coarse grassy areas.

/ 2720 problems #8  
I am thinking I should have considered not getting the 62d mmm and instead just bought a smaller JD riding mower for mowing the grass around the house (about 2 acres) though.

That is exactly what I did. I continued to use my old JD riding mower for grass cutting duties. It even works better for pulling around my small lawn cart for various duties. The 2720 is just a tad large to squeeze into tight places but it is AWESOME for loader work, plowing, snow blowing, pulling out stumps, etc. Even if I decided to buy a new riding mower, you can buy a very nice lawn tractor for the price of the 62D MMM .

/ 2720 problems #9  
I've had one for a couple of years, and several times it wouldn't start after having been used. It turns out that the neutral lockout switch was getting bent when I was going through high brush, etc. Easy fix.

/ 2720 problems #10  
About the only "problem" I can think of is the sagging fuel tank issue. This problem plagues several of the 2-series. With a full tank of fuel the Z-braces on the sides of the tank allow the fuel tank to shift forward slightly. That in itself is not a problem but if you are not careful the fuel tank cap can come in contact with the forward edge of the round cutout in the hood and put a slight dent in the hood.

The short term fix is to remove the fuel tank cap before closing the hood.

For a long term fix JD now has a kit that the dealer can install. In consists of a couple spacers that go on the Z-brackets. I had the kit put on my 2720 last July and no tank problems since.

I also read on another forum that JD has a technical bulletin (PIP) to replace the three fuel delivery valves on the engine. You can have the dealer verify by checking the serial number. It's a very recent bulletin. Still not sure what issue it is trying to address. I have not had my 2720 checked out yet.

Wish I had known about the sagging fuel tank issue before I closed the hood that first time. I now have that slight dent you described in the forward edge of the round cutout.

I haven't had any problems with fuel delivery yet but I've only got 60 hours on my 2012 2720 so maybe that issue just hasn't revealed itself. I changed all the fluids and filters last year and it's still smooth sailing.

The 2720 has turned out to be some of the best money I've ever spent. I've moved countless loads of topsoil, stone, and firewood with the FEL and made hundreds of yards of wood chips off the PTO since buying the tractor in the spring of 2013. There's nothing like having that thing sitting out in the barn ready to go when I need it.