John deere 52 loader

/ John deere 52 loader #1  

Dennisfly

Gold Member
Lake Anna, Virginia and Alleghany County, VA
Tractor
John Deere 4410
I recently bought a used JD 855 with a model 52 loader. I'm new to tractors but reasonably mechanical. I have the operators manual for the tractor but not for the loader. I was checking all the fluids, filters, etc. and I see that you need to slide the front grill forward to access the air filter and battery. The trouble is that the front end loader bracket/grill guard is in the way. How do I move/remove the loader to access the air filter? I see the release pins where the loader mounts but I don't want to do something stupid or dangerous in the absence of the manual instructions. Any help out there? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif dennisfly@aol.com

/ John deere 52 loader #2  
Dennis,

I have a 52 loader on a JD 755. Taking the loader off is simple and quick.

First, you need to have the loader stands. These are stored on the inside of each loader arm (between the arm and the tractor). They slip over a single pin and are retained with a spring clip.

Second, park the tractor/loader on a level surface.

Now the fun begins:

1. The loader is clamped on either side of the tractor to a cross member just ahead of the foot pedals. The loader vertical members sit on top of the cross member and a hinged plate (clapper) swings under the cross member and is secured in place with a large bolt (lock screw). The lock screw comes in from the bottom front and has a swinging handle that is used to loosen, or tighten, the bolt without the need for tools. The handle should be held in place between two keeper bosses by a spring clip. Removing the spring clip allows the handle to drop down. Remove the bolt on each side. After the bolt is removed, swing the clapper up and secure it in place with the same spring clip used for the lock screw handle. It is important to secure the clapper out of the way so that it does not catch on the cross member.

2. Start the tractor and raise the loader off the cross member using the Raise Boom position on the loader control handle (handle straight back). You need to raise the loader off the cross member enough so that you can install the loader stands.

3. Install the loader stand on the loader by inserting the short section into the tube just above the stowed clapper on each side. Align the hole in the stand with the hole in the tube and insert the handle of the lock screw into the hole. This fastens the stand to the loader.

4. Lower the loader onto the stands by using the Lower Boom position on the loader control handle (handle straight forward).

5. Slowly back the tractor away from the loader. If the mounting pins at the front do no want to release cleanly, bumping the loader control handle forward will move the front mounting plate to get things lined up. Back the tractor up only as far as needed to get access to the hose couplers. Be carefull not to place tension on the hoses.

6. Set the parking brake.

7. Turn off the tractor. <font color="red"> VERY IMPORTANT. To relieve pressure on the hoses, cycle the loader control handle in all directions. </font> The loader may move slightly while doing this.

8. Disconnect the hoses at the couplers. <font color="blue"> Make sure the hose and coupler pairs are marked for proper reinstallation. Mine came with metals bands on the loader hoses stamped 1 thru 4 and the couplers were identified as 1 thru 4 with markings on the tractor foot plate. If these have been removed make sure you remark in some fashion before disconnecting. </font> There should be dust covers for both the hose ends and the tractor coupler. Install these to keep dirt out.

Once you get the hang of it the loader comes off in less than 5 minutes. Do the steps in reverse to put the loader back on.
The lock screw should be installed hand tight. Recheck after you have cycled the loader up and down. Sometimes the loader will "settle" in a little better and you can get another half turn in the lock screw.

Good Luck.

Jeff

/ John deere 52 loader
Jeff,

Thanks for the excellent instructions. It doesn't sound too bad. I don't recall seeing the loader stands. Of course I didn't know to look for them before reading your post. I need to go look again. If I don't have them, it sounds like they are just a rod on each side that supports the back part of the loader assembly when it is free from the tractor. I'll take a look and let you know. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif