Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Anyone replaced their underneath, in-line fuel filter on their 1023 or 1025?

Anyone know why JD put this fuel filter there? My 4010 only had the in-glass fuel filter similar to the one that is downstream of the in-line fuel filter on the 1025. Never had a fuel filter plugging problem.

I'm leary of this in-line thing plugging in the winter and not being able to get underneath there in the cold and all to replace it.

I'm thinking of getting a new filter, poking a hole all the way through it and putting it in place or maybe just putting a spud piece of steel line in there. Really question the need for such a cheapy, ill-placed filter.

Ralph

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #2  
The filter on the engine is rated to 19 microns, the filter under the floorboard is rated to 8 microns.

Question is, can the fuel system (injectors and injector pump) handle dirt / debris that is 19 microns?

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #3  
That is weird. I'd better read up on this. Thanks for the headsup, Ralph. Obviously I haven't done my one year fuel filter replacement yet. Bowl still looks good - no gunk on bottom, no separated water either. I am very careful with my fuel - use plastic jug, keep closed so does not absorb moisture from the air, keep tractor fuel tank full (also plastic).

Normally the coarse filter is first in the fuel flow stream, then the fine filter is just before the injection pump. 19 microns is mighty coarse for a fuel injection pump. More like 5 microns or less is the norm for fuel filtration for injection componentry.

Sidenote: PsRumors - what did you come up with for stiffer seat springs? It is well known the stock springs bottom out for most of us. thx.

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025
Can you get to the in-line filter by removing the left floor panel rather than going underneath?

If it's stuck in the snow or even out in the cold in the winter, going underneath and all is not something I'd really like to be doing. Getting at the in-glass filter is no problem.

Ralph

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #5  
Sidenote: PsRumors - what did you come up with for stiffer seat springs? It is well known the stock springs bottom out for most of us. thx.

I had springs custom made. They are direct replacement and add about 23% more capacity. People have reported great results as has my butt.

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #6  
Can you get to the in-line filter by removing the left floor panel rather than going underneath?

If it's stuck in the snow or even out in the cold in the winter, going underneath and all is not something I'd really like to be doing. Getting at the in-glass filter is no problem.

Ralph

Have not looked yet. I suspect the Operator floor is a one piece molded deal that doesn't allow access.

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025
Tomorrow, I'm off to do some volunteer work at the extension office, and the JD place is on the way.

So, I'll pick up the 2 fuel filters and hydraulic filter and some lo vis hydraulic fluid to do the 20 hr service (just hydraulic oil; engine oil and FWD oil aren't until 200 hours). Gonna then see if I can get an in-line fuel shut off switch. That business of clamping a line between the tank and the in-line fuel filter is absolutely silly. One of the in-line valves like I put on a push lawn mower once should do the trick and probably less than $2. Just having to replace an in-line filter on a $15,000 tractor is silly, too. should be something better to not require you to mess with clamps and all. Removing rubber lines in colder weather is not a good thing to have to do. I'll probably wait for warmer weather to do that stupid in-line filter.

Ralph

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #9  
I agree, Ralph. If you think of it, ask them why a finer micron rated filter is before the coarser fuel injection pump filter too.

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #10  
Ralph, did JD change the first service at 20hr on the 1000 series? It use to be at 50hr.