2008 JD 2305 starting to develop a starting issue

/ 2008 JD 2305 starting to develop a starting issue #1  

netwayne

Bronze Member
This little tractor has been excellent since we purchased it new in the Fall of 2008. Only thing I've had to do outside of the recommended service intervals is replace a battery a couple of years ago. This tractor gets used almost daily but for generally short times. We just hit 200 hours on it and it is 5 1/2 years old. This past week we have started to notice a problem when starting. It turns over just fine but has a little trouble staying running and then when it does has a little bit of a rough idle and sounds like it is going to quit. For the most part after a minute of so, it seems to clear but it has quit on us a couple of times shortly after starting. Couple of thoughts came up for me on this and thought I would make a post to get some feedback.

The way this issue appears makes me think it might be a fuel issue. I have yet to change the fuel filter on the machine and when we just hit 200 hours, I pulled the owner's manual out and see that the fuel filter isn't due until 400 hours. Seems like a long time out for a low usage machine. I have a replacement filter that came in a maintenance kit so thinking about replacing that early. Curious how others feel about the service interval for the fuel filter. Was also curious if anyone is doing any kind of fuel treatment for these diesel tractors? We run a diesel kleen product through our Ford F-350 which does help out with water in the fuel and since using that product, I haven't had to drain water from the truck.
Lastly, I have been reading about similar issues in the 2305's relating to a V4 Diode failure. I am going to purchase the technical service manual to have more information at my disposal.

Appreciate any feedback on what I have mentioned here today. Thanks!

/ 2008 JD 2305 starting to develop a starting issue #2  
Your manual also say's to change your fuel filter yearly. If you look in your manual, page 31, after the 600 hours you have what needs to be done yearly. Fuel filter is without a doubt the first thing you have to do. Also take a look at the fuel filter bowl, there is a red ring inside on the bottom. If there is any water in the bowl the ring will float and rise on top of the water. I just remove and drain the water in mine this afternoon. I never have problem with water during the summer but I usually have to drain the water once or twice during the winter. The big ring holding the bold in place can be a pain to unscrew if it's the first time. A large pair of pliers will help. In the second picture you can see the red ring with some water in the bowl. The first pic shows the mechanical pump, that would be the round object. On the left of the pump there is a small lever to help you prime and remove the air in the system before starting. I usually give it 10 to 15 pump before starting it after I change the filter. Should start right up without starving for fuel. For all I know you may already know all of this if not, I hope it helps. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Henri

DSCF5224.jpg DSCF5228.jpg DSCF6598.jpg

/ 2008 JD 2305 starting to develop a starting issue
Thank you so much for the info and pics you provided. Yeah, I guess I need to look at that manual a little more thoroughly. I had missed the yearly checks. Looks like I'll be changing the fuel filter and doing an oil change. Hopefully, will be able to get to this stuff this coming weekend. I will post back as soon as I go through it. Keeping my fingers crossed that the items you mentioned do the trick here. Thanks again, Henri!