4210 ehydo calibration help

/ 4210 ehydo calibration help #1  

Big Jon

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4210
I had lost my cruise control years ago never thought about it much as not really used. A few years ago started loosing power to the load match, drain and changed fluids and cleaned suck screen, everything seemed back to normal. Then I noticed forward and reversal pedals were getting weak and tractor not moving. When I pushed pedal (either one) they were not coming back up fully and replaced the torsion springs and back to normal again. load match lost power and I did not see any codes. Tractor runs fine in MFWD without load match. I should have left well enough alone but wanted to get by green buddy back on its feet. I received a manual from another person on this forum ( a shout out to and big thanks to another 4210 owner in Georgia), and started tinkering.

Well I am not a mechanic buy no means but can worm my through many different tasks. I put my tractor in calibration mode (big mistake as once it goes in you must clear all codes). Well I am stuck with my tractor on stands and cannot get it out.

Started going through this forward pedal pot, reverse pot, then throttle pot kept coming back to forward pot, adjusted forward pot and finally got it to pass from many minor tweaks. Then start over, forward pot passed the rear pot passed and to throttle would not pass, RPM set to low, adjusted, forward pot passed, reversed pot passed, then throttle pot passed, now on to forward valve, did not pass, spit code of mfwd sensor and flywheel sensor. Replaced both back through it again. Forward pot passed, rear pot passed, throttle passed, went to forward valve then rear wheel moved went to reverse valve and nothing and spit code of flywheel sensor. Tested again forward pot passed, rear pot passed throttle will Not pass and spits flywheel sensor. Voltage at all pots 5 and continuity at ground, sinal wire if reading this correctly has 2 volts at throttle pot and I think should be reading .04v at low idle, I think.

I noticed when I adjusted the rpm as it was to low for calibration the linkage arm has been adjusted (I adjusted the stop per manual) that it was set previous at factory about 2 inches away from it is now farther down the rod. Tractor went in for a few warranty issues not related to any of this.

I am looking for some serious help here as I know that in this forum there many more intelligent mechanics than I.

Sorry for such a long post but really wanted to give a history before questions come in.

/ 4210 ehydo calibration help #2  
I was going to say flywheel sensor, but you changed it. I would adjust the arm to make the v at the potentiometer be .4v and try to calibrate.

I would caution anyone who thinks Calibration mode is going to fix any problems. Most of the time it is a pain in the rear and causes more problems. There are a list of repairs that require you to recalibrate. If you did not do any of the do not move the fuse!!!!

/ 4210 ehydo calibration help
I was going to say flywheel sensor, but you changed it. I would adjust the arm to make the v at the potentiometer be .4v and try to calibrate.

I would caution anyone who thinks Calibration mode is going to fix any problems. Most of the time it is a pain in the rear and causes more problems. There are a list of repairs that require you to recalibrate. If you did not do any of the do not move the fuse!!!!

Agreed and lessoned learned

I really hope I get some serious inputs from all you master mechanics. :anyone:

Mfreund
Question- I am definitely trying to adjust as know this makes the only logical step for the throttle pot but my mind just doesn't get how a mechanical linkage can change the voltage. As I said not a mechanic.... Definitely thanks for input.

The set screw is seized and tried lubricants etc. What would you think of some precession heat?

/ 4210 ehydo calibration help #6  
Is the rpm right at idle? Can you adjust the potentiometer at the throttle linkage instead of actually changing the rpm speed? That is what I would try first. It is under the plastic rt side of throttle.

/ 4210 ehydo calibration help #7  
I really hope I get some serious inputs from all you master mechanics. :anyone:[/QUOTE

Unless you have one there would be no way to learn. My local dealership kept putting me off until I got mad and bought a tech manual and fixed it myself. Not a huge base of knowledge. There is a couple more than me. Proably better too! Lol

I have the throttle pot exposed. I adjusted the RPM from the stop before I exposed the throttle pot. That's were I noticed the set screw marks on the linkage rod has changed once before. Book calls for 1000 rpm low idle plus or minus 50, it is running after adjustment at 975 rpm.

/ 4210 ehydo calibration help #9  
Now can you adjust the POT to spec? It is at the right speed now need the POT to read correctly.

Mfreund,
Its been hectic at work and have not had time to get back to it will try it tonight.