2210 Engine Block Heater Installation

/ 2210 Engine Block Heater Installation #1  

mhalla

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210
<font color="green">Have any of you installed the JD engine block heater in your 2210?

Yeah I know I should have had it factory installed. I was at my dealer asking about what was done to fix my top link plate leak and I decided on the spur of the moment to order the heater.

Of course the heater came in with no installation instructions so I have several questions I could use answers for.

Is there a sealant that should go on the heater threads before screwing it onto the engine block?

Is there really an adapter that is needed to make the installation? I checked JD Parts after picking up the heater and saw a $47.18 adapter that looks like it bolts onto the block and the heater screws into the adapter.

One last question. What is up with the remark "MUST ALSO ORDER AM881476 GOVERNOR CASE COVER KIT?" This is a $7.43 part. This note was listed on the line for the AR87167 kit I ordered that includes the cord and heater.

I am concerned that my dealer did not order everything that I need to install the heater.

Thanks for any information you may have in regards to installing a block heater on a 2210 and any answers you have for my questions.

Mike </font>

/ 2210 Engine Block Heater Installation #2  
I'm getting one too but the dealer is installing it. I ordered it factory installed but my salesman said its always a dealer install. Dealer should be able to tell you how.

I'm pretty sure I saw instructions somewhere but now I can't seem to find them again. They were either in the manual or somewhere on this discussion group. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find them...

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most ..." /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ 2210 Engine Block Heater Installation
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Dealer should be able to tell you how.)</font>
I agree djsch, the dealer should be able to tell me how to install the heater. When I picked up the heater there was only a salesman and parts counterman working that day and neither could tell me how to install the heater. Neither could recall the service department having installed an engine heater in a 2210.

I'll need to go back to the dealer or call when someone from the service department is in. I figured it couldn't hurt to learn from others in this forum and be able to compare "notes" with what I ultimately learn from the dealer.

Thanks,

Mike

/ 2210 Engine Block Heater Installation #4  
Search for "2210 engine block heater" in this discussion group or just jump to page 14 or 15. There are some pictures and some help there. I should be able to setup a link to it from here but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Good Luck!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Search for "2210 engine block heater")</font>
<font color="green">Thanks djsch. I printed the picture I found by performing the search you suggested.

Looks like I now know where to install the heater, but still need some "how to" information from someone who has done an installation. Gonna head out to the barn and see if I need to call the dealer tomorrow and order the adapter.

Mike </font>

/ 2210 Engine Block Heater Installation #6  
Mike,

I installed the "EBH" on my 2210. I had to buy the heater itself plus the little adaptor plate which came with a gasket and two allen bolts. And it took two trips, dealer didn't realize at first that I needed the adaptor.

I'll try to keep this brief -
- Drain antifreeze from radiator and remove bolt (below heater location...shown in owner's manual) to drain engine block (caution there is NO WAY to catch all the green stuff from the block - spills all over - have paper/rags ready)
- I was concerned with the freeze plug dropping inside the block so I driledl a hole in center of it, and ran in a screw attached to a short piece of wire to keep it from falling in
- Used a screwdriver and hammer to drive the lower part of the freeze plug into the block...outer part didn't rotate out as expected, but once it was loose I was able to rotate it 90 degrees and pull it out "sideways" (the screw/wire saved the day, the plug was definitely on it's way into the water jacket somewhere)
- I used permatext "black" gasket sealant on both sides of the gasket that came with the adaptor plate. Then installed gasket and plate with the allen bolts. Should have loc-tited these and didn't, but will watch closely and if they come loose I will reinstall with loc-tite. With the side panels off the 3-cyl motor has noticeable vibration, those motor mounts work wonders, but I'm concerned with the bolts coming loose.
- Dealer said to use teflon tape to install the heater into the adaptor, which I did.
- Replaced antifreeze, ran engine for a few minutes to make sure any air was out of cooling system, and that was pretty much it.

So far, it works fine and no leaks. If anything changes I will post here. The hardest part? Getting the freeze plug lose and out of the block.

Fred G

<font color="green">Fred, thanks for the details. You have been of great help to me and to anyone who plans to tackle this task in the future. Using Loctite is a good tip.

It sounds like you did not need to replace the governor cover with part number AM881476 which includes a new govenor cover, bolts, and gasket. There is a reference to this kit on the JD Parts web site in the online parts catalog, section 30 -fuel and air subsection 6 - Fuel shutoff solenoid, bracket and linkage. The remarks for the kit says (USE WHEN INSTALLING BLOCK HEATER).

I haven't been able to figure out why the parts catalog calls for a new governor cover when installing an engine heater. You made no mention of replacing the cover so I have to assume your installation went fine without it.

Mike</font>

/ 2210 Engine Block Heater Installation #8  
Mike,
You're correct, I did not replace the governer cover. My wife first bought the EBH itself, then I stopped at the dealership to inquire about the adaptor. The dealership person pulled up the schematic and we reviewed it together. It did show the adaptor in the diagram, but didn't seem to reference anythign else being needed for installtion.
More importantly, I don't recall the governer being anywhere near the block heater. The throttle linkage is within 3-4" but that's all I remember. I'll take another look at my engine tonight but I believe the governor is near the right-front which is nowhere near the block heater.

Fred G

/ 2210 Engine Block Heater Installation #9  
We are getting a new 2210 and will be using it in western MA. At what temperature do you really need a block heater?

/ 2210 Engine Block Heater Installation #10  
Just my guesstimates here -

You need the heater if you store the tractor outside or in an uninsulated building WITH temps In the teens or lower.

Something to consider is the reduced wear and tear. Warm oil lubricates far better than cold. Longevity will be increased even if the temps are in the 20's.

Will it start at zero w/o the heater? Sure, but you'll cycle the glow plugs three times and it's far tougher on the engine, starter and battery.

Also....how often will you use it? If it's once a week or less you might try the tarp/trouble light (with tarp over the hood/motor and trouble light under the engine). Any heat transferred to the block is a good thing.

I am by no means an expert, just thinking out loud. I'm sure others have better information than me.

Fred G