I broke my three point hitch.!!!

/ I broke my three point hitch.!!! #1  

vtsnowedin

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 5045E
Well it's time to fess up. Last winter I was pulling logs up from the lower woods. The logs were blow downs and as big as I wanted to cut them. I was using a hook on the 3PH draw bar to pull by so I could pull them free then back up and hook close and raise the 3PH to keep the butts from dragging. Well as things developed at least once I hooked onto a big log that was frozen in and when I got to the end of the chain it stopped me short. This is in a foot of old snow pulling up hill with ice chains on. What could go wrong?
Well apparently I exceeded the abilities of the relief valve on the 3PH and blew an O-ring. I first noticed that the 3PH arms started dropping after I shut the tractor down. Somewhat worrisome but should be OK if you don't need to keep a load raised when parked. Right?.... Wrong... Today I tried to hook onto my two bottom plows and couldn't even pick them clear of the ground. Of course I've waited too long and everybody has their tractor in for pre haying work at the dealers and I'm a long way from their most important customer so this might take a while. Good thing I don't do this for a living.

/ I broke my three point hitch.!!! #2  
You might fix it yourself, It's not that far in, should take less than two week ends ;-)

/ I broke my three point hitch.!!!
I want it fixed right and there is enough I don't know about it to risk doing it myself and possibly doing more harm then good. It's my 5045E. Two years old and 315 hours on it so I still have a lot of payments left to go.

/ I broke my three point hitch.!!! #5  
My guess would be a leaking rockshaft piston seal &/or pressure relief valve(parts key #19) which would require R&R of RS housing.

RE251427 Pressure Relief Valve ADD 225.23 USD
RE262678 Seal Kit ADD 20.72 USD
R141191 Wear Ring ADD 16.51 USD
PM38657 Sealant ADD 18.92 USD
Parts that have an issue will display a flag. *Subtotal 297.89 USD

Attachments

• 0001019475____________A1.gif
    0001019475____________A1.gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 280
My guess would be a leaking rockshaft piston seal &/or pressure relief valve(parts key #19) which would require R&R of RS housing.

RE251427 Pressure Relief Valve ADD 225.23 USD
RE262678 Seal Kit ADD 20.72 USD
R141191 Wear Ring ADD 16.51 USD
PM38657 Sealant ADD 18.92 USD
Parts that have an issue will display a flag. *Subtotal 297.89 USD

Yes it appears that way. Ether the piston O-rings #22 or the relief valve O-ring #18.

/ I broke my three point hitch.!!! #7  
Before you go through all the trouble of tearing everything apart, make sure something else isn't stealing the fluid and making the 3pt hitch not lift. If one of the SCV valves is sticking a little it diverts the fluid away from the 3pt circuit, same with the loader valve. I think the 3pt is the last priority in the hydraulics. Check to make sure all the hydraulic levers are centered and there is no sound of fluid moving when the tractor is running. This very well may not be your trouble, but something to check.

Before you go through all the trouble of tearing everything apart, make sure something else isn't stealing the fluid and making the 3pt hitch not lift. If one of the SCV valves is sticking a little it diverts the fluid away from the 3pt circuit, same with the loader valve. I think the 3pt is the last priority in the hydraulics. Check to make sure all the hydraulic levers are centered and there is no sound of fluid moving when the tractor is running. This very well may not be your trouble, but something to check.
I will do that. The loader still works fine so it isn't the pump or on that side of the control valves.

/ I broke my three point hitch.!!! #9  
If FEL operates correctly then I'll BET that what I listed is the 3 pt's problem.

You might fix it yourself, It's not that far in, should take less than two week ends ;-)
Looks like I'm going to have fix it myself. Planting season is in full swing and haying just days away and my dealer can't even look at it for at least another week. I ordered the parts, should be here by Friday.