My tractor is arriving tomorrow and have a few questions?

/ My tractor is arriving tomorrow and have a few questions? #1  

bravo2zero

Silver Member
Tractor
Hi everyone,

I wanted to express a Big Thank you to everyone who has taken time out to post to my questions on previous post. Well...my 5085E CAB will be arriving tomorrow. It is arriving with a spreader, MX8 pull behind, FEL w/third function and grapple, buddy seat (forced to do that or wife was going to leave me :) . It has a stereo, air ride etc.

What should I inspect and check out when the tractor first arrives? There will be an individual that is bringing it to me and will walk me through a few things I was told. But I didn't know if there was anything important to look over while the driver is here.

The tires, when I was at the JD dealer, I was told were being filled with freon and something else on the rear tires, for ballast I suppose. I am excited as get out.

I thought about running out and picking up a few pallets to set the grapple up on, and the spreader considering it will be sitting on cement if I didn't. Not sure if that matters or not? I don't have a barn just yet and working on that too.

Any feedback will be very much appreciated. They gave me a few hats while at the dealer :) now I have to find that cd with the john deere green theme to it :) and I'll be all set.

/ My tractor is arriving tomorrow and have a few questions? #2  
. . . It is arriving with a . . . buddy seat (forced to do that or wife was going to leave me :) . . .
Tough choice. New JD tractor to yourself, or order a buddy seat? Hmmm. ;)

I thought about running out and picking up a few pallets to set the grapple up on, and the spreader considering it will be sitting on cement if I didn't. Not sure if that matters or not?
Don't worry about it. Nothing wrong with putting implements on a pallet, but it's certainly not needed. Your equipment is made to work. It'll be ok.

But I didn't know if there was anything important to look over while the driver is here.
"Did you leave the keys in it?" would be a good start. :laughing:
Like any new toy, it will take a little getting used to, but there should be no real surprises. If you've had much experience with tractors at all, the learning curve should be small.
BTW, you're going to love the Power Reverser transmission. It's "modulated," so you can go from forward to reverse with a flip of the lever. No clutching required. It's really nice when you're using that MX8 in tight places.

/ My tractor is arriving tomorrow and have a few questions?
Actually this will be my very first tractor I have ever owned. And the most expensive piece of equipment I have ever owned. The MX8 is a pull behind, so backing this thing up might be a little challenge.

When running the MX8, what gear do you run on the tractor? Also do you run the PTO at full throttle like I have to on the 997?

I hope this fellow showing up tomorrow will give me quick walk through. I apologize for the dumb questions but this is going to be a learning curve for me. I have ran tractors before but that was 25 years ago and it was simple compared to all the bells and whistles on this tractor.

/ My tractor is arriving tomorrow and have a few questions? #4  
Besides the basics of all the tractor operating controls, if you've never owned a tractor before, I would ask him to show you how to attach and remove the implements you have coming with the tractor.

/ My tractor is arriving tomorrow and have a few questions? #5  
Ask the psi for the tires. I found my owner's manual lacking, it said contact dealer. With a loader you will want maximum in the fronts. Check the track width the tires are set and be sure you are Ok with that. Dealer may have asked what you wanted them set at. I like the fronts at the max allowed for a loader, and the rears matching the fronts in overall width, but if you have hilly ground you will want the rears set wider.
Have them show you how to remove and attach the loader.
Find out how to check all fluids
Check the loader was greased. Check wheel and loader mounting nuts and bolts after about 10 hours use.
ENJOY!

/ My tractor is arriving tomorrow and have a few questions? #6  
Verify that rear tires are "loaded" on arrival.

Should rear tires NOT be loaded, be sure you have a counter-balance on the Three Point Hitch before lifting anything heavy with the bucket or grapple, otherwise the (unloaded) rear tires may come up, rather than the front end load; which is a disturbing experience.

No passenger for the first 100 hours, during which the learning curve will be acute.

Last edited:
   / My tractor is arriving tomorrow and have a few questions? #7  
oh boy your 1st tractor fun fun.i hope the driver knows alot about tractors for your sake.on my 1st new tractor they went over everything with me.on the 2nd new 1 they just told me how to run the hydro shuttle and turned me loose.but then again ive been around tractors for over 40yrs.

/ My tractor is arriving tomorrow and have a few questions? #8  
Congratulations on a nice well equipped tractor, that should make things a lot easier to do.

Good advice so far and I would echo what Jeff mentioned about getting used to operation before someone rides with you.

Tire filling, I doubt (hope not) freon is a good idea in the tires as it isn't stable pressure. I would ask more specific questions about the tire liquid ballast. Windshield washer fluid, water in southern Alabama, Rim Guard would be best. I would not accept calcium chloride or freon in my tires.

/ My tractor is arriving tomorrow and have a few questions? #9  
I run a mx10 behind my 5083e in 2b.

/ My tractor is arriving tomorrow and have a few questions?
John Deere just phoned and their about 1 hour from being here :) ... My apologies too. I made a mistake. It is not freon it is antifreeze that is loaded into the rear tires. I'll post pictures tonight or by tomorrow. I might be up mowing all night long :) I've got head lights and a cd player. :)