2040 PTO clutch not dis-engaging fully

/ 2040 PTO clutch not dis-engaging fully #1  

AmericanTractorDriver

Bronze Member
Tractor
None
Hello,

Cleaning up a new-to-us 2040. The PTO clutch doesn't disengage fully, making it difficult to engage an implement (and surely adding wear) as the splines half-engage even with the clutch pedal depressed.

Today I planned to shorten the connecting rod between the clutch pedal and the release shaft extending from the internal clutch, to cause the clutch to be further dis-engaged when the pedal is depressed.

However, I realized that with the pedal physically disconnected from the cutch-release shaft, if I turned the release shaft as far as possible with a pry-bar, the clutch still did not fully dis-engage, and the splines still partially caught while attempting to engage the PTO lever. With the 3pt engaged and the clutch release fully twisted, the implement still rotated.

I would imagine the internals are pretty simple (haven't acquired a mechanic manual yet), so I'm not sure what could be wrong. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

/ 2040 PTO clutch not dis-engaging fully #2  
Possibly the pto clutch plate is warped or shaft splines are dirty. You could try installing a rotary mower then with pto engaged mow tall grass/weeds and depress clutch pedal. Also you could spray brake cleaner through inspection hole on clutch assembly. Although some people advocate adjusting PP fingers through inspection hole I have never been inclined to do that adjustment.

/ 2040 PTO clutch not dis-engaging fully #3  
It could be an adjustment, rust, or as TxJim said a warped disc.

/ 2040 PTO clutch not dis-engaging fully #5  
I'm guessing dual stage because OP mentioned depressing clutch pedal.

/ 2040 PTO clutch not dis-engaging fully #6  
I'm guessing dual stage because OP mentioned depressing clutch pedal.

Tractor Data says it is a 2 stage clutch.

Press clutch pedal all the way down and the driven disk for the PTO could stop getting squeezed by the pressure plate. Of course this does not guarantee that the driven disk is able to slide on the input shaft splines. Rust or a lack of grease can prevent the driven disk from sliding away from the flywheel. Moving the PTO engage lever should make something happen internally that one could not see unless there was some sort of inspection plate for the guts of the transmission.

2040clutch.gif

/ 2040 PTO clutch not dis-engaging fully #7  
JimRB
According to JD parts catalog #1763 2040's built for N. American sales can have hyd ind pto after > SN. 417047-

Attachments

• L40497_________UN01JAN94.gif
    L40497_________UN01JAN94.gif
    67 KB · Views: 928
   / 2040 PTO clutch not dis-engaging fully #8  
Rust or a lack of grease can prevent the driven disk from sliding away from the flywheel.

Jim
Technically the dual stage pto clutch disk doesn't ever touch the engine flywheel.

/ 2040 PTO clutch not dis-engaging fully #9  
Can not guese .....between gearlevers ....is there another lever with a yellow knob ? When engine is shuttdown ....will not stay up ? If so it has a IPTO !
On the gearlevercover you get 2 testplugs ......one for pto brake and the other one to test operation the pto clutch . Pressure shoud be around 10 bar on both but if testing the brake the chlutchpress shoud read zero and vise versa with engine running !
If dualchlutch there shoud be a selector lever on the left side of the gearboxcasing just infront of the leftfinaldrive !

/ 2040 PTO clutch not dis-engaging fully #10  
If dualchlutch there shoud be a selector lever on the left side of the gearboxcasing just infront of the leftfinaldrive !

All 2040's I've seen have a pto disconnect lever by left heel while seating in the seat irregardless if it is IPTO or dual stage clutch