10 Hours and needing to add hydraulic fluid already

/ 10 Hours and needing to add hydraulic fluid already #1  

bravo2zero

Silver Member
Tractor
10 Hours and needing to add hydraulic fluid already. Is this normal, considering I've had the tractor for less than a few days? I was hooking up the MX8 and noticed the hour glass reading "Add".

/ 10 Hours and needing to add hydraulic fluid already #2  
Maybe from attachments like a grapple or some other Hydraulic device that needed fluid.

/ 10 Hours and needing to add hydraulic fluid already #3  
Like Murphy said, attachments will retain some of the fluid plus as I am sure you have noticed the connections will drip a little everytime you unplug.

/ 10 Hours and needing to add hydraulic fluid already #4  
You don't say what model your tractor is.

The sight glass reading is very dependent on the tractor being level. Also the reading is dependent on weather the fluid is cold or warm. In the summer I park my tractor in my pavilion for easy access when mowing a lot. There is hardly a noticeable grade - the tractor will not move when off and in neutral just the same as level ground. The site glass always shows no fluid when parked there. But if I bring it into the barn the level shows just right half way up the glass.

And like others have said, if you have attached any hydraulic implements for the first time, they will take some fluid away from the system. The proper way to check the fluid is when the tractor is cold, any loaders etc flat on the ground, and the 3 point hitch lowered.

/ 10 Hours and needing to add hydraulic fluid already #5  
How much did you have to add?

/ 10 Hours and needing to add hydraulic fluid already
I haven't added any just yet. Called the dealer and said it was fine as long as it was showing in the bottom glass.

/ 10 Hours and needing to add hydraulic fluid already #7  
Hydraulic fluid level can change dramatically, depending on the position of the attachments. Your manual should tell you.

/ 10 Hours and needing to add hydraulic fluid already #8  
Also, the drip out of your connectors will not cause you to have to add fluid. It would take a LOT of drips to add up to a quart of fluid. A quart of fluid added to your system would barely move the level in the sight glass.

/ 10 Hours and needing to add hydraulic fluid already
Thanks guys for the help :)