Gallons Per Hour

/ Gallons Per Hour #1  

bravo2zero

Silver Member
Tractor
I was curious. I run a 5085 E CAB and wanted to know if anyone here runs the same? How many gallons are you using per hour. With mine, I have put close to 14-15 hours and have used 3/4 of the fuel. I mowed land and filled in a trench with the FEL.

I was curious too, if running the tractor in 4WD uses more fuel? I have heard from many that it does and then tonight an old timer told me it doesn't matter.

/ Gallons Per Hour #2  
4wd might use a little more but if you don't need 4wd don't use it, just causes more wear

/ Gallons Per Hour #3  
I was curious. I run a 5085 E CAB and wanted to know if anyone here runs the same? How many gallons are you using per hour. With mine, I have put close to 14-15 hours and have used 3/4 of the fuel. I mowed land and filled in a trench with the FEL.

I was curious too, if running the tractor in 4WD uses more fuel? I have heard from many that it does and then tonight an old timer told me it doesn't matter.

Compared to what?

/ Gallons Per Hour #4  
I run a 5083e. Mowing with an eight foot disc mower in B-4 I burn about 2.5 gallons per hour. Could probably do better if I slowed down a little but I don't have time for that.

/ Gallons Per Hour #5  
I run a 5083e. Mowing with an eight foot disc mower in B-4 I burn about 2.5 gallons per hour. Could probably do better if I slowed down a little but I don't have time for that.

I really do not notice a difference in 2 or 4 wheel drive, but on the hills I mow I have to have 4wd to back up with mower up anyways.

/ Gallons Per Hour #6  

While I don't have a 5085E tractor you should recognize that hp hours/gallon is a better gauge to judge fuel economy. No two people are going to use their tractors in a similar way enough to reach much of a conclusion. If your tractor was fully loaded using maximum hp I doubt it would use less than 5 or 6 gals/hr.

Using 4x4 will use a little more fuel but would not be significant imo. Doubt you could notice the difference without highly accurate fuel measurement tests. Also don't really know how much fuel you have burned if simply going by the fuel gauge on your first tank.

/ Gallons Per Hour #7  
I look at it in terms of gallons per acre. The larger tractors do more work with a gallon of fuel then a small one.
Here is an interesting piece from UI about farm production costs. The chart on page twelve shows a rotary mower uses about $4.50 per acre in fuel ,oil and repairs with diesel at $3.15 per gallon. Not that diesel will ever be that cheap again IMHO
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/crops/pdf/a1-20.pdf

/ Gallons Per Hour
Very interesting and a detailed article.

I look at it in terms of gallons per acre. The larger tractors do more work with a gallon of fuel then a small one.
Here is an interesting piece from UI about farm production costs. The chart on page twelve shows a rotary mower uses about $4.50 per acre in fuel ,oil and repairs with diesel at $3.15 per gallon. Not that diesel will ever be that cheap again IMHO
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/crops/pdf/a1-20.pdf

/ Gallons Per Hour #9  
While I don't have a 5085E tractor you should recognize that hp hours/gallon is a better gauge to judge fuel economy. No two people are going to use their tractors in a similar way enough to reach much of a conclusion. If your tractor was fully loaded using maximum hp I doubt it would use less than 5 or 6 gals/hr.

Using 4x4 will use a little more fuel but would not be significant imo. Doubt you could notice the difference without highly accurate fuel measurement tests. Also don't really know how much fuel you have burned if simply going by the fuel gauge on your first tank.
Very realistic. ... It comes down to how much power you are using - and its hard to know how much that is. The closest I have been able to get with "feel" is snow throwing heavy snow with an HST transmission tractor. -- One GPH using 15HP. or 15 HPhrs per gallon. On diesel.

One instance where 4wd will improve efficiency is soft ground, tillage etc. A wheel climbing is more efficient than pushing it, even tho rolling.
larry

/ Gallons Per Hour #10  
Until broken in you will use more fuel/hp/hr. Rings need to seat, parts need to mate/wear together, etc. Everything is tight in a new machine.