Leaking Window Seal in Cab

/ Leaking Window Seal in Cab #1  

bravo2zero

Silver Member
Tractor
Had some pretty good rain come through this afternoon, jumped into the tractor late this afternoon and noticed on the window rubber sill that there was water. A fair amount and wanted to know if anyone has had this issue or is this normal?

I apologize for the typo in the heading, it is sill and not seal :)

It is a 5085E CAB.

/ Leaking Window Seal in Cab
90 Views, and I must be the only one that has ever had a leaking sill on their cab?

/ Leaking Window Seal in Cab #3  
When I buy a new vehicle or tractor I make a list of things for the dealer to fix, usually a short list. I make arrangements with the dealer to resolve the issue/s and leave it with them to straighten out. I don't bother to start a thread on TBN about things that are minor fixes under warranty.

/ Leaking Window Seal in Cab #4  
My 2008 4720 with the Comfortgard cab leaked around the rear window. When they were fixing a front axle seal they took care of the leaking window, both covered by warranty. I don't know what they did to fix the leak but never bothered again.

/ Leaking Window Seal in Cab #5  
The rear window seal leaked on my 3720 as well. In fact it was bad enough to have thoroughly soaked the owner manuals in the holder behind the seat. Seems to be an endemic condition with JD cabs. Fixed it myself though, it was a matter of reseating the seal. The seal attaches to the window frame with a rubber-coated metal U-channel. The channel had slipped off the window frame in several places. In a couple places, the channel had spread wider than the metal to which it was supposed to grip, permitting the seal to come away from the frame. I corrected the channel width as necessary, then tapped the whole thing back in place with a rubber mallet. Also adjusted the release handle to close a little tighter. Got new owner manuals too, the originals crinkled up too badly once dried.

//greg//

/ Leaking Window Seal in Cab
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback and making the list of things to fix. :) I apologize for asking all the questions, just trying to learn.