How To: JD2210 Replacing Front Seal

/ How To: JD2210 Replacing Front Seal #1  

DonS

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD2210
replacing sleeve and seal
clean the area around case before removing the 6 bolts.
place a pan under the case to catch the oil that will drain after removing the case.
after removing the case pour the small amount of oil thats in the assembly into the pan.
take the assembly place it in the freezer for 2 hours. (it smells from gear lube so put it in the garage freezer)
after 2 hours place it on the bench bearing upwards. use a large screwdriver and put the end on the shaft and twist it upwards so it comes in contact with the inner part of the bearing. keep rotating and twisting working the bearing out. its a snug fit.
next remove the snap ring on the end of the shaft and push out the shaft with your fingers. Its a little tight.
Pry the sleeve off the spindle shaft with a screwdriver.
clean the spindle using mineral spirits. wipe clean. place the spindle ,bearing and seal in freezer for 1 hour.
after 1 hour take out the sleeve put oil on the inside of it and on the shaft of the spindle. use a driver and tap it all the way down. make sure its all the way because the snap ring will not go back into its slot.
used channel locks to pull the seal out. you cannot drill it and put screws in it. metal under the rubber and the shavings will get into the bearing below.
after removing the seal clean the case,bearings out with mineral spirits. let dry.
place the case on the bench seal side up,get the seal from the freezer,put oil on the outside of the seal and on the seal surface of the case. place the seal in position, use a driver, like a board flat across the seal and tap it in all the way.
put oil on the seal, with the spindle shaft facing upwards slide the case onto the spindle.
install snap ring. (note the the ring is larger on one side so it looks like its not all the way in)
get the bearing out of the freezer and it will drop right in.
oil the bearings before installing the assembly back on the tractor. fill the front end up with oil check the level.

Attachments

• bearing.jpg
    bearing.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 684
  • snapring.jpg
    snapring.jpg
    696.1 KB · Views: 829
  • spindlesleeve.jpg
    spindlesleeve.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 1,081
  • spindleout.jpg
    spindleout.jpg
    893.4 KB · Views: 1,340
  • snapringdiameter.jpg
    snapringdiameter.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 284
  • complete.jpg
    complete.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 490
   / How To: JD2210 Replacing Front Seal
jd part number for seal is JDCH14691 $36, number on seal is nok AE7450F, cross to skf 22030,national 225675, ebay $5.00

sleeve jd part number is JDCH14692 $37, number on sleeve is nok AQ2967E, called a company for a cross and they wanted $50

/ How To: JD2210 Replacing Front Seal #3  
This is a nice description with clear photos. Thanks Don for taking the time...:thumbsup:

Your Welcome Henri, I messed up the title of the thread and couldn't change it. It should read "Replacing Front Axle Seal" It should show up now with these key words in this post using the search.

Don

/ How To: JD2210 Replacing Front Seal #5  
Nice job Don, Thanks and you know how much we love pictures. Plus I think JD uses this axle on other models as well.

Mark both case halfs before you split them. It will save time when you reassemble. had to move it 3 times to get all 6 bolts in.

Can someone please tell us what the torque is on the case bolts?

/ How To: JD2210 Replacing Front Seal #7  
jd part number for seal is JDCH14691 $36, number on seal is nok AE7450F, cross to skf 22030,national 225675, ebay $5.00

sleeve jd part number is JDCH14692 $37, number on sleeve is nok AQ2967E, called a company for a cross and they wanted $50

Hi Don,

I came across your list in ordering parts to rebuild the front end of my tractor. I ordered the SKF 22030 at a much discounted price over John Deere's ridiculous $40.00/a seal.

One thing of note and I'm wondering if you've had any "issues" since resealing your front end?

The SKF 22030 Seal is only 8mm thick. This is 4mm thinner than the NOK AE7450F seal (12mm thick) that John Deere used from the factory. It also appears the Original Deere/NOK seal has 2 sealing lips, although only one is "spring loaded". I suspect the first acts as a sort of "pre-filter".

In any case, My question once again is:

Did you use the 22030 seal?, and if so have you experienced any "LEAKING" since?

Thanks!

/ How To: JD2210 Replacing Front Seal #8  
scrambler73
Let us know how the 22030 works out for you.

/ How To: JD2210 Replacing Front Seal #9  
scrambler73
Let us know how the 22030 works out for you.

I'm willing to try it and report how it works out, but since Don listed it above (although a couple of years ago), I figured I would check in first to see if its holding up ok. I'm still waiting on a few parts, so wont be putting it back together until this weekend..

Hopefully Don chimes in by then!

/ How To: JD2210 Replacing Front Seal #10  
Gotcha.. send Don a personal message (PM) and it will get to him through his email. Click on his name and the way to PM him will show up.