3rd Selective Control valve for 4310

/ 3rd Selective Control valve for 4310 #1  

PerryWhite

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4310 4WD turf tires
My wife asked my what I wanted for Christmas / early Jan birthday and I said I wanted the kit to install a 3rd SCV on
my JD 4310. My question is this. Has anyone ever installed
this kit after taking delivery of their tractor? How complicated is the installation?
Does it require any special tools?
Or, should I just let the dealer do it?
Thanks

/ 3rd Selective Control valve for 4310 #2  
Check the documentation on the 4310 - In the 4510-4710 information it shows that the "2 SCV" joystick valve is actually a 3 SCV valve. Buying the "3rd SCV" is just adding the mechanical linkage to get to the valve. Doesn't appear to need any hydraulic system work.

That said it doesn't mean it will be a piece of cake to get to that area to spin the wrenches. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 3rd Selective Control valve for 4310
Thanks Tim,
Your comment makes complete sense to me know.
I went back and looked at the print out that I've
made of the 3rd SCV Kit (part # LVB25084) and indeed
the picture shows the lever, hydraulic tubing
and fittings contained in the complete kit. Evidently
the valve which is on the tractor has caps in place
which need to be removed in order for the kit to be installed.
I'll go out and look tonight when I get home and
assess the "degree of difficulty" to install. Hopefully
I won't have to remove too many parts to get wrenches
into the right place. Thanks again and I hope
that a CUT is in your future soon.
Perry

/ 3rd Selective Control valve for 4310 #4  
I installed one of these kits on a 4700. They supply a complete kit with instructions. You have to remove the trim plates around the seat to get access to the control valve. There is a control lever and cable that gets mounted on the fender and a hole to drill in the fender for the cable. There is a bracket and two hydraulic quick connectors that have to be mounted on the frame behind the seat. If you have the power beyond option you use the bracket that came with it. They supply prebent hydraulic lines to go from the control valve to the connectors on the rear. If you do not have a backhoe sub-frame on the tractor these should go in easily. I have the backhoe sub-frame and it made getting the hydraulic lines routed a nightmare. If I were doing it now I would have removed the wheel and fender (which is really pretty easy to do.) All that is left is to connect the control cable to the SCV, adjust it, and reassemble the parts that you removed from the tractor. The instructions that John Deere provides have you do more disassembly of the control valve than is really required. It took me most of a morning to do the installation. If I had not had the backhoe subframe in the way it would have taken an hour but I spent three hours trying to figure out how to get the hydraulic lines past it. The first time I used it I had to readjust the linkage.

The net is that it is an easy thing to install but by the same token that means that the labor for the dealer to do it would be small also.

Thanks Don,

I don't have a backhoe nor do I have the power beyond
on my 4310. After some of the excellent advice
I have received I think that I will probably do it myself.
Part of the reasoning for that is because it is a big hassle
to get the tractor loaded onto my tandem axle trailer
and take it back to the dealer 25 miles away and have
them do the work. Also the dealer tends to take about a week to get anything done so I don't want to be without
a my 4310 for that long. Another reason is that I found
out from my insurance agent that my 4310 is not
insured if it leaves my property. If I need maintenance
that only the dealer can do, according to my insurance
agent, I must get the dealer to pick up / deliver my
tractor. There is always something

/ 3rd Selective Control valve for 4310 #6  
Not sure how different they are but I put one on my 4610 a couple of months ago. The hardest part was cutting the slot for the lever in the trim panel. Ended up using a drywall rotary tool and cleaning up with a utility knife. The instructions said to remove the right fender. I didn't see any reason to and it turns out there wasn't any. Went together just fine in under two hours.

I've got bad news and good news.

The bad news is that I didn't get the 3rd SCV for Christmas.
The good news is that my wife ordered it for my birthday
which is early January. I am concerned about the recall
that I saw here on TBN. I will check my serial number when
I get home since I am out of town for holidays.

Well I decided to install the 3rd SCV myself and everything went okay. Taking the right fender off and the right rear wheel made the job easier to do. I didn't set any land speed
records doing this and spent 5 - 6 hours which included a trip to town to buy some 3/8 inch drive hex male sockets.
I couldn't budge the plug in the bottom of the SCV with
an allen wrench.

Attachments

• 355990-DCP_1561 (Small).JPG
    355990-DCP_1561 (Small).JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,393
Here's another picture of the finished product.

I thought putting the rear wheel back on was going to be a pain but I used two 5 foot long oak 1 X 4 's (I have a sawmill)
one slid under the tractor on each side of the tire and lifted
the wheel and scooched it back on to the hub. A real back saver. (the wheels were not ballasted)

Attachments

• 355993-DCP_1563 (Small).JPG
    355993-DCP_1563 (Small).JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 863
   / 3rd Selective Control valve for 4310 #10  
Nice photo, clean job. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. My hoses are extended up front for my 4 in 1. What else do you plan to do with yours?