4100 diesel starting issue

/ 4100 diesel starting issue #1  

railmanmatt

Hello, all. I have a 2001 4100 compact Yanmar diesel. After using it all afternoon, I went to restart it, and nothing. Thinking it was the starter, I replaced that. Still nothing. I have enough voltage, and the relay clicks when the key is turned. Any answers for me? I also checked all the fuses. All good.

/ 4100 diesel starting issue #2  
Battery? Did you check the voltage while trying to start it? Check at battery and starter terminals.
Check/clean ground wire where it attaches to the frame.
Seat switch? Try jumping across it to eliminate, that.

/ 4100 diesel starting issue
Battery? Did you check the voltage while trying to start it? Check at battery and starter terminals.
Check/clean ground wire where it attaches to the frame.
Seat switch? Try jumping across it to eliminate, that.[/QUOTE]

I checked the static voltage and while trying to start it. 12.9vdc and it dropped to about 12.3 vdc while key was engaged. I also tried jumping the seat switch. Still nothing. The engine turns freely, so its not that. I might have to look at a diagram of the wiring to troubleshoot more.

/ 4100 diesel starting issue #4  
For a start check all the connections, battery cables, fuse & relay contacts and all the safety shutdowns. Add the fuel supply system on to the list and make sure there is clean fuel at the pump.

So I was checking the tractor again, and noticed a wire off. Connected it, and it started right up. It must have been the low hydraulic oil sensor. Go figure. I now have a starter in my parts stock. :)

/ 4100 diesel starting issue #6  
That kind of stuff is frustrating sometimes, all of the silly sensors, safety switches and so on. Glad you found it. Mine wouldn't even click the other day right after I had just used it. I went straight to the battery and everything looked fine and felt tight. I took the clamps off anyway, wire brushed them, put 'em back on and she started right up. No matter what, I still remind myself, we used to use mules back in the day................and when they died,.........well, they were dead forever. :donkey:

/ 4100 diesel starting issue #7  
So I was checking the tractor again, and noticed a wire off. Connected it, and it started right up. It must have been the low hydraulic oil sensor. Go figure. I now have a starter in my parts stock. :)

That's great, but there is no low "hydraulic" oil sensor, engine oil yes, but nothing for the hydraulics.

I have no manual to check to see what sensor it was. All I know is that it started! I just assumed it was something to do with the fluid levels, since it was on the bottom of the trans.

/ 4100 diesel starting issue #9  

Sorry to state but replacing parts without completing good diagnostics is a waste of time & $$$$$$$$$

/ 4100 diesel starting issue #10  
YEP that darn slide on connection...RIGHT below the Hydraulic Dipstick.. let a bug jump while mowing and it will knock it off.
VERY poor design..which is while I took the MIG and spot welded a tab near it so I could tie wrap it. Highly recommend doing that..