broken deck mount?

/ broken deck mount? #1  

jeremytl

Man, always something. Just when I get her purring like a kitten...I was mowing the ditch, which is hard on the deck, I noticed the deck was flimsy and saw this. I think this has to be a common problem. My tractor is not that old. Should I get someone to weld it or what fix do you suggest?

DSC_0059_resize.JPG

/ broken deck mount? #2  
What model is the tractor?

If it is not under warranty, get someone to weld it.

/ broken deck mount? #3  
My tractor is not that old. Should I get someone to weld it or what fix do you suggest?

View attachment 379019

Not that old ??? Good Grief ! It looks like it's been getting Social Security for 20+ years. Where did all the paint go? I'll bet the deck rusted out from underneath and the remaining rust just gave way. A welder may burn right through any remaining decent parent metal.

I'd go with duct tape. Use the good stuff, not Dollar Store variety...

/ broken deck mount? #4  
Get it welded. A good welding shop could add reinforcing "L" braces if needed.

/ broken deck mount? #5  
If I were repairing it, I would make a reinforcement plate from 1/8" plate about 1" larger all the way around and weld that to the deck, cut off the bottom of the bracket by 1/8" to account for the reinforcement plate thickness. Weld all of the pieces all the way around with one pass of 3/32" 7018. From the photo, it looks like the bracket has been flexing under stress a lot so it broke in the heat affected zone. The repad will spread the forces out a bit and help keep the flexing to a minimum.

NOTE: repads need not be any thicker than the base metal but 1/8" plate is likely about as thin as you would find and should work well.

/ broken deck mount? #6  
Additionally, you would want to remove the piece of decking from the support bracket and weld it back in the hole with a near complete penetration weld. I would weld from both sides to ensure complete penetration, then grind off smooth the underside weld so it doesn't impede any flow of grass clippings and the top side so the reinforcement plate sets flat.

/ broken deck mount? #7  
By the way, my JD 332 deck broke the same bracket once when I was mowing my pond bank. The deck had rotted thru from the underside. It took a lot more patching with plate to fix all the rusted areas but it lasted me till I got my Ferris mower a couple years later. $1200 for a new blank deck from JD without spindles so it was worth several hours of work to patch up the old deck.

/ broken deck mount?
my neighbor welds, i give them eggs from our chickens, fair trade :)

deck weld.jpg

/ broken deck mount? #9  
Looks real sturdy. Bet you don't have any trouble with that one again. Plus, can't beat that deal.