Engine operating temperature

/ Engine operating temperature #1  

Wildman1

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD2210
Since I installed the Curtis heater in my cab I noticed that the coolant lines to it only get luke warm. I checked the radiator hoses on the engine after running it for a half hour (no work) and they were the same...luke warm. Is this a thermostat issue or does a diesel need to be under load to warm up?

/ Engine operating temperature #2  
I think that's a general "diesel phenomenon". My duramax pickup came with a grill cover to block airflow in the winter, even with it on, the truck is slow to warm up.

I remember fall plowing with a JD 4230 (6 cyl...100HP diesel) and even under a heavy load the engine ran noticeably colder in the fall/winter. Stop and idle for just a few minutes and the temps would drop right off, too.

/ Engine operating temperature
After researching the thermostat that came with my 2210, I find that it is 160f. I found 180 & 195's at Napa for every Deere EXCEPT the 3 models that use the one the 2210 takes. I need to find a 195f. Anyone know who might have one?

/ Engine operating temperature #4  
Normally yes! To think that you just added some more capacity to the cooling system it will take even longer now for it to warm up. Remember that cooling system is also going to have to cool when it's warm during the summer.

/ Engine operating temperature #5  
I drove medium size diesel trucks for a long time and in the winter they always ran much cooler. As my employer was too cheap to spend $$ on winterfronts the solution was to put a square of stiff cardboard in front of the radiator. Has anyone tried a homemade winterfront for their tractor? It's an easy installation, compared to switching thermostats.

/ Engine operating temperature #6  
Wildman1 : My 455 and all the smaller diesels I know off run cool. I simply place cardboard in front of the rad screen and depending on outside temperature/work load I get real good heat. I have a hard sided JD cab and even though the cab is not air tight I can work outside in any temperature. Watch your temp gauge especially on a warm day as your tractor will run hot! I have cut up different sizes of cardboard for different temps on the day I am out with the tractor. Works for me. I am planning on making a hand operated louvre so I can control temps on the go so to speak. It is a pain to change the rad cover when the temps change but what can you do!

/ Engine operating temperature #7  
Not only did you add capacity to the system, you added another "radiator" to dissipate some heat.

/ Engine operating temperature
Ok, I solved the problem. Shucks Auto had a rack of generic thermostats. They are sized by diameter. I took the OEM thermostat down and found that a 44mm one is identical and come in 180f & 195f. Alaska, being on the cold side, I went with a 195f. Ran the engine for 15 minutes at 2000rpm, no load, and it came up to temp and the cab heater really put out the heat. All radiator hoses got almost too hot to hold my hand on for more than a couple seconds, about the same as our 2 vehicles with 195f's installed.

I really think that in the colder climes, a stock 160f will keep the oil from getting up to a proper operating temp causing sludge & acids to build up. Also, I read somewhere that fuel burns cleaner with warmer engine temps. My Izusu 4cyl 60hp diesel in our 32' boat always runs around 190f under load and drops to 180 at idle. After 1000+ hrs on it no problems.

I do believe a temp gauge is in order though.