jd 855 loose front final hubs

/ jd 855 loose front final hubs #1  

dets jd855

Tractor
john deere 855
New here at this forum thing but here we go
I have got at 1990 jd 855 with the front hubs loose and leaking from the knuckle part so I went through both front final drives
installed l new seals and replaced both inner and outer bearings on both sides of the large hub gear for a lack of a better term when i put it all back together and reinstalled on the tractor i still have the same amount of play from when i started i could not find any wear in the gears and tje bearing that i replaced to ne honest did even seem bad so now im really confused
I called seveal jd dealers they said it could be yhe aluminum cover that the outer bearing sits in is egged out wich would make the outer bearinga bit loose in the housing
So my question is is this a common issue im looking for more insight on this issue the loosness in the front hubs maybe normal for all I know it only abt a 8th inch of movment wich seems like alot to me but its not like a trailer with conical bearings in a race wereyou can adjust the tightness these are just 2 ball
bearings and a oil seal
please let me know any ideas or suggestions thanks

/ jd 855 loose front final hubs #2  
This is pretty common on the MFWD x55 series. On the 855 and 955 that I've had apart, this looseness or slop has been evident been the hub shaft and the bevel ring gear. The bearings support the ring gear in double shear. The hub shaft is not directly supported by the bearings. It just presses into ring gear and the contact area between shaft and gear is pretty short.

/ jd 855 loose front final hubs
Hello
thank you for the reply to my post
so if I am understaning you correctly you think the hub shaft is worn and possibly the ringgear and pinion gear
how would I go about testing to make sure this is the problem
I haven't had time to rip it apart yet
When I had it apart the there was no smoking gun on where the slop was coming from
I also thought it was strange that both side had about the same amount of play
so you never herd of the aluminum hub cover egging out than? I guess i have to get time and rip this thing apart
Any kinda of help or ideas will be appreciated
thanks

/ jd 855 loose front final hubs #4  
I believe it is inherent in the design. You could replace the hub shaft and ring gear at great expense, but it is my firm belief that it would just be a matter of time before the condition returns.

Mechanos
So in your opion you think this is fine to leave it the way it is with the play in the front hubs because this is a common issue and just flaw in the mfwd design?
Thanks

/ jd 855 loose front final hubs #6  
My 955 has been operating fine for several years now (the length of time I've owned it) this way without issue. I don't see any way to "fix" the issue short of replacing the ring gear and hub shaft. At $700 to $800 per side, that's not going to happen. If it continues to get worse, I may address it in the future, but I haven't noticed it getting any worse in the years that I've owned it.

Mechanos
thank you for the help if I wind up ripping it back apart to do some exploratory surgery ill have to spring for a 6 dollar outer hub gasket seal and some 80/90 oil I will let you know if I do and find anything
Thanks again

/ jd 855 loose front final hubs #8  
I know this is an old thread but I noticed this same condition with my new to me 855 while servicing it. There are no leaks and the axle operates fine so I'm going to assume this is normal or at least nothing to be alarmed about.

Hello
I still never ripped the front hubs back apart I have been running it that way for over a year with no extra damage or play in the hub.
I still want to dig into the hub again possibly soon or take it to a dealer it still bugs me about the excessive play
I can let you know what I find out or if you find anything else out please let me know
Thanks

/ jd 855 loose front final hubs #10  
Just saw this post for the first time now, but wanted to let you know that I had the exact same issue with my 955. After taking it apart, I had some wallowing-out of the aluminum cover on one side and less on the other side. To make a long story short, I replaced both hub covers and bearings and still have considerable slop. It just seems like a poor design on JD's part, but my advice would be to forget about it, because you will spend $400 like I did and still be disappointed. Hope this helps.