What am I missing about removing Draft Link (3720 Cab)

/ What am I missing about removing Draft Link (3720 Cab) #1  

OZisKTB

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720 Cab with 300CX loader
New owner, bent the right draft link (LVA14238) on my 3-point hitch pushing my box blade :confused2: backward too hard.

Ordered a new one and tried to remove and replace. I removed the bolt and lock nut that hold the Pin Fastener (LVU15084) in place.

Thought the Pin Fastener would tap right out. (Wrong)

What am I missing:confused:? Penetrating oil had no impact, neither did the hammer or trying to rotate the Pin Fastener.
2014-07-07 09.55.59.jpg
Thanks in advance for great advice.

Kirk

/ What am I missing about removing Draft Link (3720 Cab) #2  
Just went through something similar on a New Holland. On mine, one end of the pin had a bar across the end that slipped into a slot to keep it from rotating when you tightened it down. It took multiple cuss words and finally a 4' steel bar with a wedge shape on the end of it being driven between the bar and the frame by a sledge hammer to break it loose. My 4' gorilla pry bar got straightened out trying to pry it out.

If your's drives out to the inside, I'd remove the wheel and get a sledgehammer. Or maybe put a bottle jack between some blocks at the wheel and the pin. Those things don't come out easy.

/ What am I missing about removing Draft Link (3720 Cab)
Thanks for sharing. My failed attempts have involved a 2 Lbs sledge, chisel, and 6' prybar. Don't have the helping hands to remove the filled R-4 to bang harder.

Thanks again, thought it was just inexperienced me.

/ What am I missing about removing Draft Link (3720 Cab) #4  
Try turning it

Thanks, put a pipe wrench on the open end?

/ What am I missing about removing Draft Link (3720 Cab) #6  
that or the flat piece the bolt goes thru to hold it in

/ What am I missing about removing Draft Link (3720 Cab) #7  
If the nut an bolt are removed it should pull right out. I always would lube mine with lithium grease. I suspect perhaps the pin may be bent. I'd try heat and a large punch and 8 lbs hammer.

Matt

/ What am I missing about removing Draft Link (3720 Cab) #8  
Mine wasn't bent. Just seized. It actually went back in very easily.

A pipe wrench might work. I still say try the bottle jack idea. Just use plenty of long pieces of wood to spread the load and brace against and then just press the pin out.

Thanks good ideas, I'll give them a try. I believe the "flat piece the bolt goes thru" is seized to the frame. The bolt came out well, but had lots of corrosion.

/ What am I missing about removing Draft Link (3720 Cab) #10  
Don't have the helping hands to remove the filled R-4 to bang harder.

The R-4 loaded should just stand on its own, at least mine do. Has not been a problem to handle them alone.