Problem driving a 1983 JD 410

/ Problem driving a 1983 JD 410 #1  

scottgs

Tractor
Unimog U1100
I'm looking at a buying 1983 JD 410, however I'm concerned there may be a problem with the reverser or main clutch.

When I drive the tractor, if I try to start out in high range 1st gear (5th gear I guess), it is ok on level ground, but it will not move if on any hill at all. Is this normal?

It does not stall, but the motor loads down some, and it just doesn't go. If I let off the throttle to near idle, sometimes it will grab and go. If I switch to low range lower gears, it moves ok. It seems to be about the same in forward or reverse.

The hydraulics for the hoe, loader and stabilizers work fine, plenty of power and flow. Only other significant problem is the brakes chatter a lot.

Also, about half of the hydraulic fluid was just changed prior to the test drive due to a leak repair. The new fluid was shield AW32.

I'm not at all familiar with these machines. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Garret

/ Problem driving a 1983 JD 410 #2  
This may not help, but when my 2030 is low on hydraulic fluid the HI-LO will slip on hills, but is OK on the level. Topping the fluid fixes it.
They may not have filled it to capacity. Have them show you how to check the fluid and make sure it is full.

/ Problem driving a 1983 JD 410
That would be something easy to miss, however I checked it a couple times, and it was right where it was supposed to be.

Thanks.

/ Problem driving a 1983 JD 410 #4  
Problem could be damper clutch or reverser fwd clutch slipping. Unless it's price is cheap I'd walk away.

/ Problem driving a 1983 JD 410 #5  
That would be something easy to miss, however I checked it a couple times, and it was right where it was supposed to be.

Thanks.

Then it sounds like worn parts. Maybe forward clutch pack slipping. Not an easy repair.

/ Problem driving a 1983 JD 410
Thanks everyone for the help and advice. I'm still not sure what to think, but one thing for sure, I don't need another project right now! I'm going back to look at it again this weekend, and hopefully will be able to get a better assessment of what's going on.

Thanks,
Garret