Backhoe JD #7 Backhoe - swing cylinder rebuilding - how to dismantle?

/ JD #7 Backhoe - swing cylinder rebuilding - how to dismantle? #1  
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I am trying to rebuild the seals in the swing cylinders on my #7 backhoe. Appears to be single acting cylinder with only one hose connected to each. They are leaking to the point where fluid streams out of them and leaves trails on the driveway etc so need to be redone badly.

I removed one of them from the backhoe. It had an internal snap ring on the rod end which I removed. I am now facing a flat plate with a single round hole in it. That hole is where the hydraulic fluids are pouring out of when used now. I expect the seals took a beating since the previous owner slopped paint on everything before I bought it and I missed the fact that these rods had paint on them and couple hours of use destroyed them. :mad: I am planning on removing all of the residual paint while I work on them.

I have the original JD seal kit for them, but it did no come with any instructions....of course. :rolleyes:

I have seen videos that show most cylinders have a pair of holes which a spanner wrench will remove...I am at a loss what to do with a single hole. I am including multiple pictures of the cylinder so everyone can see what I am trying to describe.

Thanks!

DSCF2157.JPGDSCF2159.JPGDSCF2160.JPGDSCF2162.JPG

/ JD #7 Backhoe - swing cylinder rebuilding - how to dismantle? #2  
Welcome to TBN

I'd think you just pull it out, now that you have the snap ring out.
That "flat plate" is just a guide.

/ JD #7 Backhoe - swing cylinder rebuilding - how to dismantle?
If it just pulls out, it must be a tight fit. Looking at it, there is zero tolerance. Might be made worse by the paint slopped around it...if that wasn't original paint to start with.

Seems pretty tight and doesn't move visably. I tried to insert just the tip of a screw driver into the hole and tap it to the side / rotate it with a hammer and it did not rotate at all doing that.

How would I attempt to pull it out? Grab end of rod and exert force on the entire rod assembly away from the cylinder housing?

Thanks!

/ JD #7 Backhoe - swing cylinder rebuilding - how to dismantle? #4  
Let's let others with a real "know" chime in.
I don't want to suggest that you try what I think I would try... that is use some pulling force to get it out....

If you go to jdparts, and look at the parts list in that cylinder... then it appears there is nothing to that guide but to keep the rod centered in the cylinder. You can look at that pic too.

But others will chime in here, I'm certain.
Considerable collective knowledge and expertise on this forum.. Hang tight..

/ JD #7 Backhoe - swing cylinder rebuilding - how to dismantle? #5  
Let's let others with a real "know" chime in.
I don't want to suggest that you try what I think I would try... that is use some pulling force to get it out....

If you go to jdparts, and look at the parts list in that cylinder... then it appears there is nothing to that guide but to keep the rod centered in the cylinder. You can look at that pic too.

But others will chime in here, I'm certain.
Considerable collective knowledge and expertise on this forum.. Hang tight..

On another note, maybe connect to a water pressure hose and put 50-60 psi to it (slowly) and see if that would push it out. Cheap to try if you can make the connection. Careful where it is aimed. ;)

Or use a chain fall to pull on it, or if you have a wood splitter to hook onto both ends and pull.

Attachments

• 7_cylinder.jpg
    7_cylinder.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 934
   / JD #7 Backhoe - swing cylinder rebuilding - how to dismantle?
If you look at that parts diagram, mine does not have that second hose fitting near the rod end of the cylinder. Doing my forum searching before posting, I did find others questioning the swing cylinders on the #7 and people told them there should be a hose connecting that end of the two swing cylinders together. So I obviously have a slightly different cylinder version on mine....if that makes sense. You cans see there is no spot for that second hose connection in the pictures I posted.

/ JD #7 Backhoe - swing cylinder rebuilding - how to dismantle? #7  
That fitting at the front looks like it's a vent to let air pressure equalize. Your cylinder probably uses that hole at the front as its vent.

Beyond that, I got nothing as to how you dismantle it. I guessing that maybe it's got some corrosion locking it in place. Maybe soak with a penetrating oil for a time?

/ JD #7 Backhoe - swing cylinder rebuilding - how to dismantle? #8  
So CO, you are thinking that the innards are different such that your cylinder doesn't just pull apart once you have the snap ring off ??
Appears to be a basic one-way (single acting) ram.

/ JD #7 Backhoe - swing cylinder rebuilding - how to dismantle? #9  
hopefully JJ will show up here soon enough.

bench vise, plus bent up screw driver, and hole, and see if you can get things to spin out "#8 in the above diagram"?

/ JD #7 Backhoe - swing cylinder rebuilding - how to dismantle? #10  
Secure the fixed end, then use the rod/piston like a slide hammer to tap the gland out from the inside.