Deere Recalls 4000 Ten Series

/ Deere Recalls 4000 Ten Series #1  

cpicton1

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
CPSC, Deere & Company Announce Recall of Compact Utility Tractors

The following product safety recall was conducted by the firm in cooperation with the CPSC. Consumers should stop using the product immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: John Deere 4000 Ten Series Compact Utility Tractors

Units: 1,700

Manufacturer: Deere & Company of Moline, Ill.

Hazard and Product Description: An internal failure may occur within the Hydrostatic Transmission preventing the transmission from returning to neutral after the pedals are released. This can allow unexpected movement or cause the tractor to continue moving, creating a possible risk of injury to the operator or a bystander. The following model and serial numbers can be found on the serial number plate on the tractor frame:

Model Serial Range
4210 CUT with HST LV4210H220677 through LV4210H221025

4310 CUT with HST LV4310H232267 through LV4310H233638

4410 CUT with HST LV4410H241367 through LV4410H241821

4610 CUT with HST LV4610H260774 through LV4610H260906

4710 CUT with HST LV4710H270806 through LV4710H271286

Incidents/Injuries: John Deere is aware of several failures of the transmission with no reported injuries.

Sold At: Authorized John Deere dealers nationwide and in Canada from April 2001 to August 2003 for between $18,000 and $27,000.

Manufactured In: U.S.A.

Remedy: Consumers should stop using their tractors immediately and contact a John Deere dealer for a free repair.

Consumer Contact: For more information, contact John Deere’s Customer Communications Center on (800) 537-8233, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am until 6:00 pm (Eastern Time), Saturday, 9:00 am until 3:00 pm, or at the John Deere web site at www.johndeere.com.

/ Deere Recalls 4000 Ten Series #2  
A potentially serious problem. But the version I got from a service called SafetyAlerts said this:

Deere & Company Has Recalled Compact Utility Tractors
Reason: The acrylic base of the Hanukkah menorah can ignite if the candles are allowed to burn completely, creating a fire hazard.
Distribution: Nationwide.
http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/p/02/p0013444.htm">

So, keep this in mind also! In fact, never leave unattended candles burning on ANY tractor.

/ Deere Recalls 4000 Ten Series
Yes, I realize what the email news letter said but if you click on the link it will take you to the web page that tells the real story. It could be a fatal flaw. I believe that is the reason for the recall.
Merry Christmas Everyone! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Deere Recalls 4000 Ten Series #4  
<font color="blue">4710 CUT with HST LV4710H270806 through LV4710H271286</font>

This apparently is a big recall. I received an unsolicited phone call from my dealer's service manager (KC-Canary, Fultonville, NY). They have been pre-emptively calling all customers who purchased 4x10 series tractors from them in the last couple years. He relieved any concerns I might have had when he said my serial # was not in this batch. It is encouraging to know when the dealer goes out of their way to notify customers of this type of news, whether one is impacted or not.

...Bob

/ Deere Recalls 4000 Ten Series #5  
Bob -

Did the dealer say this was an issue ONLY with the 4x1x series units? I haven't checked my serial # yet, but I was wondering what the difference was - perhaps in the electronics portion that is different between the 4600-4610 (for example)?

-Bob

/ Deere Recalls 4000 Ten Series #6  
Bob,

Apparently, only the 4x10 series models are impacted by this recall. Dealer did not mention any 4x00 series being impacted. The e-Hydro trannies I believe are somewhat different from the HST trannies in the 4x00 series and so it is only these latter e-Hydro trannies and newest 4x10 series models that are impacted by the recall. To play it safe, you might want to contact your dealer to confirm.

...Bob

/ Deere Recalls 4000 Ten Series #7  
Just got back from vacation and noted the recall. Got a letter from JD. Serial number of my 4310 is included in the lot needing a fix. Does anyone know how complicated this is? On location or a trip to the shop?

Thanks.

/ Deere Recalls 4000 Ten Series #8  
I live in Illinois and was out of town in Indiana for Dec. 24th
and 25th when I saw the recall notice. I didn't have my
serial number with me so I called my dealer on the 26th
as I was driving home and asked about the recall. They
seemed annoyed that I would ask and asked me if I had
received a notice in the mail. I said that I didn't cause
I was out of town for the holidays and didn't have my mail.
As it later turned out, my 4310's serial number wasn't in
the list. I am still wondering what the problem was and what
was done to fix it. I am also wondering if the problem
was mechanical or was it a software problem. The eHydro's
haven't been around very long. Since I work for CAT
in the CAT Electronics business unit, I am very aware
of all of the peculiar things that can come up in software and how difficult it is to make things "fail safe"

/ Deere Recalls 4000 Ten Series #9  
Here is my dealer's email response as of today:

Apparently from what I have been told the maker of the transmission has a problem with an internal control rod. If this rod fails the operator will be unable to return the transmission to neutral. The PIP is to replace the complete transmission. Dan our service manager is working with John Deere to acquire the kit ASAP and Dan or I will be in contact with you to get your tractor in for repair.