755 issues

/ 755 issues #1  

wheeler01

Tractor
JD 755
Recently picked up a 755 compact utility. It has a few small issues, I want to take care of.

First it is leaking hydraulic fluid from the shaft that the outside brake pedal linkage attaches to that enters the rear end housing. Is there a replaceable seal or ring that resides on the shaft that could be causing the leak? Ive looked at the schematics, and have found one view that showed an o-ring, and another that just shows a washer on the back side of the shaft.

My other issue is the hour meter/tach no longer works. Is there any place specific to trouble shoot it, or is it something that just needs replaced? Wasnt sure if there was a blown fuse or electrical short somewhere that could be the culprit for it not operating. All the fuses on the panel by the air cleaner are good.
Ive ordered manuals for it, just haven't shown up yet. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20140818_143823.jpg
    20140818_143823.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 211
  • 20140818_143930.jpg
    20140818_143930.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot_2014-08-18-23-27-58.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-18-23-27-58.png
    84.2 KB · Views: 215
  • Screenshot_2014-08-18-23-26-16.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-18-23-26-16.png
    277.1 KB · Views: 154
   / 755 issues #2  
Not sure about your fluid problem, but on the tach the most often problem is a broken tach cable.. It uses a cable and when you buy a replacement, there are instructions on how to reroute the cable because of prior problems..

I had to replace mine, but actually routed the cable the old way because the new way the instructions mentioned seemed worse than the old way..

/ 755 issues
Thanks for the reply. Would a broken tach cable cause the hour meter not to function as well?

/ 755 issues #4  
Wheeler that's a good question.. I don't know, but the hour meter looks mechanical. I do know I left my switch on by accident a few years ago, and the hour meter did not operate..

If you can reach the cable and unscrew it from the tach,, it won't hurt to start the tractor to see if the cable turns... If you do that,,, sometimes a broken cable will still turn with no load,,, so if you check and see it does turn,,, carefully pinch on it a little with your fingers to make sure it is ok and not just freewheeling.

/ 755 issues #5  
wheeler01
Yes, one cable for hour/tach meter. Part number AM875587 for just the cable or part number AM119854 for the kit. (as shown in jdparts)

And part no. AM102034 for the meter.

/ 755 issues
Ththanks for the help and part numbers. It looks like there are 2 wires going to the back of the meter. Red goes into the meter and black(ground im assuming) is connected under the nut of the mounting stud of the meter itself. The two wires lead back to a clip connection coming out of the harness. That clip connection is pretty deteriorated, and I cant seem to get power from any of the wires at the clip, with a tester. Tried with just the key on, and with the motor running. Haven't been able to take the cable out to check if its turning yet.

/ 755 issues #7  
It's all mechanical... the wires are for the instrument light.

/ 755 issues
Ahh ok. That makes sense. Ill start with inspecting the cable then.
Thanks for all the help.
I figured out which seal is leaking on the shaft for the brake linkage after finding more scematics online. 3 trips to the dealer, 2 wrong parts ordered later.

/ 755 issues #9  
Wheeler..Did you find your parts and their numbers in jdparts.com ?? That is one way to likely get the right parts... ;)

/ 755 issues
Yea, thats where I found the correct part # for the seal. I registered on jdparts and started combing the schematics. The seal is listed in the transaxle housing schematics, it is also shown in the brake linkage schematic, but there was no part number with it. Found the part number in the transaxle schematic.
I drained the fuel tank today after reading up on some fuel issues people were having with the pickup tube screen falling off. Found that my 755 didnt even have a screen or hose on the tube, and there was nothing in the tank. Luckily found a screen that would work at the kubota dealer. So apparently the previous owner must have had issues with it and didnt fix it. Just need to fix the tach/hour meter and hopefully ill have a solid little tractor. Thanks for the help