X series snow plow bigger than 54"?

/ X series snow plow bigger than 54"? #1  

travisH3

Tractor
John Deere X475, X738 garden tractor, Z930M zero turn, wg36A walk behind
Hey fellas, been plowing with my x475 with the 54" quick hitch front blade for quite some time now and the smaller snows i always wished for a wider blade, but on the heavy snow the 2wd tractor didnt push it well. But now, Im recently a new owner of a brand new John deere X738 with 4wd!!!!!! so I was wondering if there is a larger blade they make for these now? 62" would be nice, a 70" may be too big but just trying to cut down on my time. thanks for your help!

/ X series snow plow bigger than 54"? #2  
Don't know of one longer than 54", but you could add extensions to get more length. For snow, longer is better. But some wet snows, longer will limit how much the front steering wheels will handle not sliding sideways.

My 7' blade on my 4300 holds pretty well until the snow comes 12" and wet. Then have to take that into account and either less angle to the blade or less bite. Or go get the bucket.... Running chains on the front wheels works well, I've learned.

The other trick is to build a wing plow to mow the snow berm back further.. Don't need it often, but the few times needed it works great.

/ X series snow plow bigger than 54"? #3  
A lot will depend on the quality and quantity of snowfall in your area. I had a 60" power angle blade on a Honda 6522 (4x4, no chains & approx 1900 lbs) Fluffy - 6 - 12" inches no problem, but wet / heavy, it was a struggle. I'd think your X738 at around 950 lbs + driver + blade + Weights?? + Chains?? might handle 60" in many cases, but with some snowfalls would be overwhelmed.
70" - don't think so except for very light snow. I have not tried a blade on my X739, so no direct experience.

/ X series snow plow bigger than 54"? #4  
Check out products from Arthur Randall Corporation. They make a larger, heavier and more expensive blade. But it sure looks like it would take advantage of the extra power and traction of your X738. I was seriously looking at putting one on my 1026R but ending up getting a 54" blower. I will keep my 54" blade for the light snow falls and switch over to the blower when needed. But if I only was going to use a blade I would want something bigger than the 54".

I'm actually surprised that Deere hasn't come out with a 60" or 66" blade for the X700 garden tractors and the 1000 series sub compact tractors. Deere has been using the 54" as a benchmark for plows since the 1970s when you could put one on a two wheel drive 140. With 25 hp and 4 wheel drive its now time for a bigger plow. Come on Deere, step up to the plate and give us a plow that lets us use the additional power and traction.

/ X series snow plow bigger than 54"? #5  
I bought a set of these 54" blade extensions from Artillian and they work pretty well. They are a hard rubber, I would like them better if they were metal extensions. I think with all of the 2 series tractors a bit bigger blade would sell well for deere.

/ X series snow plow bigger than 54"? #6  
I use a 60" rear blade on my x749 and it works well so maybe adding some wings as others suggested will work for you.

/ X series snow plow bigger than 54"? #7  
jenkins
Do you have a pic of that blade in snow? tks

/ X series snow plow bigger than 54"? #8  
Hey fellas, been plowing with my x475 with the 54" quick hitch front blade for quite some time now and the smaller snows i always wished for a wider blade, but on the heavy snow the 2wd tractor didnt push it well. But now, Im recently a new owner of a brand new John deere X738 with 4wd!!!!!! so I was wondering if there is a larger blade they make for these now? 62" would be nice, a 70" may be too big but just trying to cut down on my time. thanks for your help!

I wished that for a long time and finally made my own. I had a 5' blade for the 3 point hitch. I can take off the hitch and bolt on this metal thing in the pic that I made. It then fits right on the front quick hitch. I have to use care with it because there are no springs to trip with, so it could do some damage if I got to ramming around with it.

I don't use it any more, to bad you aren't closer, it needs a new home.

050503_1531[00].jpg

/ X series snow plow bigger than 54"? #9  
jenkins
Do you have a pic of that blade in snow? tks

Not handy, my laptop died about a month or so back. Three days after that my smart phone died. Lost all the pics, customer phone numbers I had with the exception of those on this site.

/ X series snow plow bigger than 54"?
I bought a set of these 54" blade extensions from Artillian and they work pretty well. They are a hard rubber, I would like them better if they were metal extensions. I think with all of the 2 series tractors a bit bigger blade would sell well for deere.

I like those!!!, how do they do as far as the cutting edge? do they leave any snow behind and what about hard icy snow, i see how it says they flex if you hit something.