JD 3032e pto problem

/ JD 3032e pto problem #1  

Keez

Tractor
JD 3032E
I have JD 3032e tractor that I pull a 6ft. finish mower with. Last time I tried to mow, as soon as I pulled the pto switch, the engine dragged down and stalled. I disconnected pto coupling to the mower and tried with nothing attached. Same result. Checked hydraulic fluid level, ok. Front end loader works fine and tractor drives as normal. Pto seems to be locked up when turned on and stalls engine. Is there something electrical I can check before I take to dealer? They told me they would probably have to split the case to get to the pto clutch. Looking at possibly $1600 in repairs if something is broken internally.

/ JD 3032e pto problem #2  
Are you sure it's not a safety switch cutting the tractor off?

/ JD 3032e pto problem #3  
X2 on the likelihood of a safety switch kicking in because something is not set just right.

/ JD 3032e pto problem #4  
No, not if it is actually "dragging down" the engine.. something bad wrong in that PTO case... open her up.

/ JD 3032e pto problem
I believe the safety switch is just two wire switch in the seat and kills the engine when open. The tractor runs, but engine winds down and stalls when pto switch is turned on, killing the engine unless pto switch is turned off. The shaft does not turn. Does anyone have wiring diagrams or know if there might be an electro mechanical brake involved?

/ JD 3032e pto problem
I believe the safety switch is just two wire switch in the seat and kills the engine when open. The tractor runs, but engine winds down and stalls when pto switch is turned on, killing the engine unless pto switch is turned off. The shaft does not turn. Does anyone have wiring diagrams or know if there might be an electro mechanical brake involved?

For those interested and to help any future owners with this problem, I removed the PTO push/pull switch and discovered it contained three wires. Checking continuity on the switch connectors, with cable still attached, it appeared that the switch was working correctly when activated. The switch had one common, a normally open and normally closed contact. There was slight resistance between the common and the other two contacts when probed during switching. I removed the connector and checked the switch and there was still very slight resistance, 3 to 5 ohms, on the contacts. There were two other sets of unused contacts in the switch which had no resistance respectively, when checked while activating the switch. I was able to shift the cable connector to the unused set of contacts and the pto started working. I can only assume, since JD wouldn't give me any help, that one wire activated the pto clutch while the other wire deactivated the pto brake, and vice versa, depending on the switch position. New switch will cost around $25 and I have also ordered the repair manual on cd for $60.

/ JD 3032e pto problem #8  
I wonder if the dealer would of discovered this before or after he opened it up?

/ JD 3032e pto problem #10  
Super excellent post , I got the same prob and now have a positive direction to investigate without JD's outrageous shop prices.I just fixed the same exact problem on my commercial Z-Master . This seems to be a very common problem that can easily be remedied. Thanks for your time in your post , Ronnie Hatcher