8FT VS 10 MX

/ 8FT VS 10 MX #1  

bravo2zero

Silver Member
Tractor
I know that the difference is of course the size, but is there a major difference in cutting speed with a 10FT MX VS 8MX? I have the MX8 but I swear it takes forever to mow all this land with the MX 8. I am considering the MX10 trading in the 8. I would love to have the 15ft but I can't swing the extra 7 grand.

Any help would be so much appreciated.

/ 8FT VS 10 MX #2  
Well, the 10 footer is 25% wider than the 8 footer. Assuming that you have all the PTO power that you would need to run the 10, you should be able to get done 20-25% faster I would think. ;)

/ 8FT VS 10 MX
lol .... thanks. I wonder if it would still give you a decent cut like the MX8 does?

/ 8FT VS 10 MX #5  
Might be worth waiting to swing the 15 footer....it would almost be twice as fast.

/ 8FT VS 10 MX #6  
I have an MX10 and about 70 pto hp with a full 3pt mount. It makes quick work of large areas but when the vegetation gets over the front tires, I can't mow quite as fast as I like. Just remember, its a brushhog not a finish mower.

How much horsepower at the PTO are you working with?

Last edited:
   / 8FT VS 10 MX #7  
I second the comment about waiting to swing a 15' cutter. I just upgraded to one from a 6' mower and could not be happier!

/ 8FT VS 10 MX
I have a JD 5085. I like the pull behind bush hogs which is what I have now (MX8). With the baby coming not sure I can swing 7,000, they are willing to give me almost $6,000 trade in on the MX8 considering I have had it for just 2 months.

/ 8FT VS 10 MX #9  
I guess the question is what is slowing you down now? is it rough ground? or lack of power?

IF lack of power, meaning you are travelling as fast as you can without bogging down the tractor, a bigger cutter isnt going to help at all. 25% wider means you would have to go 25% slower.

IF it is bumpy ground slowing you down, and the gear you are comfortable in has pleanty of power, the a larger cutter will be faster proportionally to how much bigger you go. Up until you run out of power and have to slow down.

/ 8FT VS 10 MX #10  
I'm the opposite of ya bravo, I like the full mount or semi mount mowers better. What size machine are you pulling the cutter with?